Out of the Shadows and into White Cotton

Mumbled voices drew me out of the void and my clouded head seemed to lift its fogginess. Dispite the fact that my eyelids felt like lead, I opened them to see Malin asleep on a chair beside me. A cardiac monitor beeped close by and a closed window at the farside of the room definately had movement behind. A needle was injeted into the bend of my left arm, causing me to almost sit up and barf. the familiar scent of Pine sol and cotton filled my nose and I immediantly realized where I was: the hospital.

   I jumped up with a start and a wave of panic washed over me and instinct kincked in. i ripped out the needle (it going bonkers now) and kicked off the covers. My breathing increased as I leaped to my feet and was ready to bolt out the door... if it wasn't for the Malin standing right infront of me. He came in a blur, infact, i hadn't even seen him move! he gripped my shoulders lightly.

   "And where might you be going?" He asked sarcastically.

   "Move Malin," I argued, his grip tightening. "I can not stay here! You know how I get in hospitals!"

   "I know. that's why we were going to check you out as soon as possible, but, with that fall you had, the doctors will most likely have something to say about it." he looked down at me, and the familiar sense of comfort overtook the fear. i relaxed and let him lay me back down in the stupid white cotton bed. I noticed he was walking with a slight limp.

  "This place reeks of white cotton Hell," I remarked. He chuckled. God, his smile was beautiful! but it had a haunting demeanor- like a someone with an inner sadness giving a forced smile.

   "Hah! Well sadly you'll have to endure it for just a while longer," he stooped down and plaed a small kiss on my forehead- sending butterflies in my stomch into a barrel roll. he rested his forehead on mine. "We won't be here for long," he whispered. "Ameer's gone and you're okay."

   "You know he's not," I replied softly. A flicker of regret rossed his face, but was replaced with pain as I reached up and brushed his face with my hand. "Don't tell me things that you know aren't true just to give me hope."

   "I..."

   Just then the heavy wooden door burst open with three doctors and an out of breath Luscious, causing me to jump back. Mal slowly drew bak and stood rock solid. The doctors rushed over, but Luscious stayed hunched over, trying to catch his breath.

   "We thought... the heart m-monitor... it wen't bezerk..." Luscious panted. Was pushed out of the way by a dotor and retreated to standing by Luscious.

   "She seems ok," replied a female doctor cheking the machines I was hooked up to. Then she notied the needle out of my arm. "We're going to have to put that back miss."

    "Er-"

   "I don't think that'll be necissarry," Malin spoke up.

   "We'll have to monitor her still, sir," spoke up another male doctor to my far right. "Hospital orders." I ringed at the thought of a hospital, and nearly barfed at the idea of needles. This was really not my day. Malin sighed and strode back over to where i lay. He took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

   "I'll count it down for you," piped uo the third doctor with the dreaded needle. I shut my eyes and squeezed Malins hand not-so gently. He barely winced. "One..."

   "Just focus on me," Mal ordered. "Think about me and just focus on me."

   "Two..."

   "Hey what about me!" Luscious protested, coming to stand by Mal. "How come you get all the attention?!" Mal rolled his eyes and gave me a reassuring smile.