Piece of Mind

The creaking of the door being opened woke me with a jolt, like every other sound i heard that wasn't caused by me. I sat up and before I looked, already assumed it was a doctor.I'd already learned how to recognize another psycologist coming to examine their new specimen. I tiredly turned an looked at the figure entering my gateway to freedom. He was in his thirties, it looked, with tousled brown hair at his shoulders. He was average height with golden eyes, and strong arms. He was handsome, but wore no ring on his left hand. He did, however, wear black pants, a blak shirt, and a long black trench coat. He didn't even remotely look like a doctor, which is what caught my attention. He was followed by one of the unlucky white coats who watched me through a camera in the ceiling.

   "Hullo there," He spoke, his proper northern english accent framed kind words with charming attitude. He smiled before continuing. "My name is Malin Dieu. I'm-"

   "A doctor?" He smiled.

   "Yea, in a sense," he turned to the scared looking man behind him. "Think you could give us a minute?" The man nodded his head vigorously and looked eager to leave as he was dismissed out of the padded cell. The doctor turned to me with a grin. He pulled up a stool hiding in the corner and sat with his his hands in front of him. "Your name?"

   I took in everything before answering. I looked from the blonde highlights infused in brown, to the silver watch on his left arm, and down to his newly shined high techs at his feet. I looked deep inside his amber eyes before realizing there was no threat. He was different from the other doctors, I could feel it.

   "Griff."

   "Wonderful name. How old are you?"

   "Sixteen."

   "All grown up and in this place?"

   "Apparently."  We stared at each other for a minute before he continued.

   "Well Griff, do you have any brothers or sisters?"

   "Four sisters. Although i haven't seen any of them in eight years. My parents seemed to have forgotten about their maniac daughter." He nodded in comprehension.

   "Griff, allow me to be frank?"

   "I thought your name was Malin," he chuckeled at my comment. Then his face grew serious. grimly serious.

   "I don't represent any other mental institues, and I'm not studying you for a test. I know your history with ther doctors, and believe me, I'm not like the rest. But I do want to know one thing. Just for the sake of my restless curiosity; what happened?" I knew this question was coming. In all my years being here at this place, I hadn't told anyone what made me go insane.  Not one doctor or white coat had ever been able to get the story out of me and I vowed no one would. After all, wat could they do? i stared at him in silence as a response. I stared for forever it felt, untilhe finally cracked a smirk.

   "Not telling huh?" I shook my head in answer. "Well, alright then. Would you mind if I still kept you company?" This question took me aback, for I was not expecting it. He wasn't gonna hound with countless questions for countless hours before he finally stormed out in rage screaming how he'd never met a patient so stubborn as I? He wasn't gonna beg and plead saying this may or may not lead him to losing his liscense? He was just going to hang out as if I was a normal teenager? It was almost as if he... cared! He took my silence as a yes.

   "So, tell me what exactly do you do?" I asked in curiosity.

   "A multitude of things," he began with a heery attitude. "I'm a part-time pilot, a bit of a writer, the occasional sketch here and there... erm... i love to read and love knowledge. I like things that get you to think. Excrentic things like the universe and time and space and that sort of thing. Er..." He thought for a moment. "What can I say? I became a psycologist and here I am now." He smiled.

   "You sound like a very interesting man. I'd love to read what you write if that doesn't bother you," This was the most I had talked to anyone in months!

   "If you'd like, I can bring some the next time I visit you," he offered.

   "You'd actually come back?"

   "Why wouldn't I? I like you," He winked playfully and laughed. He had a nice smile. This was the nicest anyone had been to me in a long while.

   "No one's ever-" I stopped suddenly. A creeping chill crept up my spine and overtook my mind. I froze. I could not think, I could not feel. memories flooded me... memories of... them. I screamed and collapsed in a fit of mania and felt Malin leave his chair, probably out of fear. He was going to leave and I knew it. Suddenly i felt arms around me as my screaming softened a tone.

   "Shh," He whispered into my tangled brown hair. I felt the white coats rush into the cell, but stop short of the sight in front of them.

   "Um, Mr.Dieu?" The first one asked in confusion. "The patient suffers from a small form of Mania and-"

   "Yea yea, I read her papers!" He growled back at them. "And I've also noticed you lot haven't helped in the slightest. I've got this." He cradled me in his arms and my rushed breathing slowed. I stopped flailing my arms and legs and My pupils returned to normal size. I stopped screaming alltogether and cried softly into his neck. I was... relaxed. I was never relaxed. The whitecoats must've sensed the same thing, for they backed out and left me with the strange man. He cradled me for about a half hour before he set me down and crouched in front of me where i could see him properly.

   "Now Griffin," He said calmly. "Offer me a piece of mind; What happened all those years ago?"

   With a deep breath, I looked into his golden eyes, and actually, for the first time, began my agonizingly painful and true story about how I truely went insane.