London Falling

I must have drifted off shortly after because I remember Malin calling me to wake up. 

"Griffin?" he called softly from the seat in front of me. "Griff, we're here." my eyes fluttered open and squinted from the oncoming sunrise. Malin was in the cockpit before me staring out at the oncoming horizon. The smooth running engines slowly started lulling me back into a haze before I shook myself awake to sit up and look at the stretch of city in the front window. Under us, tall skyscrapers towered over long streets lined with bustling cars and people. Little houses lay scattered on the distant countryside while big Ben stood proudly beside parliament, the Thames running calmly with its current. I heard Malin utter "welcome to London" before I collapsed on the seat again from the shock. The fact that I had escaped hadn't yet fully sunken yet, and now that I was in London, miles away from the mental ward, put me in shock even more. I was actually free... I guess it was official now. 

"Er," I stuttered. "where exactly are you taking me?" 

"An old friends house we can stay at until further notice," he said without taking his eyes off of the controls. Aviator shades covered his eyes masking his expression. "In central London." 

I lay back down and considered this. I would never have to go back to the hell I lived in for most of my life. I could finally start over as a normal teenager. I smiled at the thought. Just then Malin started talking into his handheld radio, and I could make out him saying we were ready to land. I figured it would be a while so I closed my eyes and took a deep sigh of relief. 

And the something hard and heavy hit the tail. 

I screamed and sat up and I heard malin curse under his breath. "What th-" BOOM! Another hit the wing. I saw Mal scramble for the controls, maintaining a calm status dispite the sweat dripping down his forehead. "Hold on Griff," he strained. "I think we'll have to make an emergency landing. I've still got control of-" I felt the plane swerve a sharp left, causing me to be thrown against the small window beside me. For a moment the plane went in its side and I viewed London from an angle I never wanted to experience ever again. The plane regained its normal posture. 

"F-" mals curse was interrupted by yet another blast, this time puncturing the back. The plane sputtered. "Er, Griff," Mal took off his headset and placed it on his neck, turning to face me, he took off his glasses and calmly said "Please remain calm. I have lost control of the engine and will unfortunately have to land in the Thames. Please don't-" and the plane dropped into a dive bomb. 

"SCREAM!" he yelled while scrambling yet again for the controls. With quick precision, he turned knobs and pressed buttons, steering the yolk like a professional. I screamed in fear as the Thames grew closer and closer to the planes nose. My life flashed before my eyes and in my most likely last moment, screamed a last "I love you" to anyone else there to hear it. Just as I breathed what were sure to be my last breaths, I felt the impact of the plane hit the water with a large crash. I felt the water seep through and into the plane. I closed my eyes, sure I was dead. Then I realized arms were wrenching the door open, pulling me with them. Mal pulled me out and into the cold dark water. I opened my eyes holding my breath, and saw a shadowy figure lurking deeper in the blue, his red eyes watching us as mal swam us to the surface. I opened my mouth to scream, but ended up gasping for air instead. Mal did the sane. He turned his head in all directions, scanning the closest way to shore. He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the right. We swam for about ten minutes before finally arriving at land, our legs and arms sore from fighting the current. We trudged through the water until completely on British soil. We collapsed in tiredness beside each other still gasping for oxygen. After about five minutes, Malin sat up and looked down at me. 

"Are you alright?" he asked, sweat dripping down his head and onto his already drenched shirt sticking to his chest. 

"Yea," I managed through heavy gasps.