Chapter 1

"Ba-thump, Ba-thump, Ba-thump." My heart was racing fast, it was the only thing I heard. Everything was pitch black and I was on the cold hard ground. Am I dead? No, I don't think so. Because then I'd feel pain. When you die, you're suppose to feel pain, right? I heard the engine coming closer. "Woot! C'mon Zodiac!" Someone yelled out, although I don't know who. I felt the engine's breath on me. That's when I rolled out.

     "Dang dude, 74 seconds before the car hit!" Cheered a guy with red hair, he was a delinquent that girls would go for as a bad boy. I smiled devilishly, "thanks Zach." A beach blonde girl with blue eyes yelled out, "Forever Dead Game King!" "Mag....obviously!" Said a brown haired girl, Francie. "W-wait what? H-he was going to die!" Yelled the new kid in the crew, Dan. "Chill dude, that's part of the game, the Dead Game," said Zach. I laughed, this kid was just clueless! Zach continued on, "Every player has to lay on the street blindfolded. Whoever can stay the longest as a car comes, win."

     I took off my blindfold and slapped Zach's hand. Dan had a terrified expression and ran off. "Guess he couldn't handle it," smirked Zach. "Too bad Devin couldn't make it," I said. Everyone agreed sadly. "Yeah dude, his mom freaked out when she heard he skipped school on the last day!" Mag said. He was always that good ideal kid, I sighed. "Guess we'll see him when school starts tomorrow." Someone muttered lowly.

     "Alright man, I'm ditch," I said as I took my skateboard. I flipped it over, quickly jumping on it and zoomed away. The wind blew back my black hair as I rolled side to side. A brick wall was right infront of me, hurriedly, I jumped onto the railing down the stairs. I felt a thrill rush as I did a flip down, landing on my skateboard.

     This is the way to live life, a thrilling throb in your heart, beating wildly. I felt a bit dizzy just then. My eyes re-adjusted to see a pale girl with dark brown hair and gorgeous green eyes. I stopped right when I was about to hit her.

     A relief filled my head. "My bad," I said breathless. That's when she just stared at me. Her green eyes piercing me in the eyes. She had a red aura. She started to walk away until I stopped her with my right hand.

     "Wait, who are you?"
     "Do you really need to know?" God, she seemed mysterious.
     "Uh, well, I don't know." That's when she gave me a soft look in her eyes. She seemed like she was going to say something but thought about it and stopped.
     "Bye." She said softly.

     I watched her leave with a pained expression. I didn't know why but I felt a throb in my heart. Ugh, whatever.

     I skated towards a dark alley. Near the trashcans were some high school kids beating up what looked like another high school kid. They looked like fifteen, perhaps a year younger than me then. The victim had a green aura while the two predators had red auras and the third one had a yellow aura.

     I couldn't help but burst out laughing. The predators stopped, looked at me then started to growl. This was too good, it was like they were dogs.

     "What! You need something?" They yelled out.
     "Nah, just go back to whatever." I smirked. The victim gave me a terrified look. It's not my life getting beat up kid.

I gave him a half smile and started to flee when the kids said, "Hah, he's not even going to save you." I grinned, I speeded up towards them. Giving two kids a punch in the face. "Grrrrr."

     "Guess you're a bulldog," I smiled. I finally cleared my head from my earlier encounter, giving the third kid a kick in the private. I flipped back and elbowed a kid getting back up.

     The victim had a relieved face as the kids started running. I wiped a blood stain off my right cheek. The victim hugged me, "thank you." I felt awkward. "I-I thought you were going to run away," he stuttered. "Nah, it was just to keep them off guard," I said. "Well kid, gotta go," I flipped my skateboard and left. I checked my watch, it was 11:04 PM.

     I wasted too much time! Mom's going to go crazy. After what seemed like an eternity. I reached my front door. As soon as I opened it, my mom punched my face.

     "You unworthy brat!" She spitted on my face with every word she said. "Like father like son! Leaving me and having an affair." She slapped me hard enough to leave a mark on my face. She gave me a disgusted expression and left. You got the affair part wrong.

     I felt like crying but didn't let myself let a tear slip by. I didn't want to be my old weak self hiding in the corner. I went upstairs slowly. I turned back to look at my mom. She was sobbing while looking at my dad's picture. "It's been years mom," I whispered softly. She flinched a bit. Maybe she heard me, maybe she didn't.

     I went straight to sleep, staring at the ceiling. And the girl with green eyes showed up in my dreams. But I don't remember it. But she said something to me, she definitely did.

     I woke up the next morning. I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth then my hair. I quickly slapped on a black t-shirt and jeans. When I looked in the mirror. I saw my reflection but also not sure of what I saw. My red eyes fired powerfully, I put on my brown contacts.

     The first day of school was always exciting for me. Yeah sure, others would like it for new friends, new classrooms, new teachers. I like it for a different reason. You see I have a special power. I can see, how to say, "auras" around people. It surrounds them throughout their life. There are only three colors I've seen and learned what it meant as I grew up throughout my sixteen years.

     Most people have green auras, meaning they'll live a long life, not saying it'll be good though. Some have yellow auras meaning they'll die in a tragedy. Like a car accident, those kind of things. Others have red auras, it's like bloodlust when you're around them. It's like fear eating you alive or becoming fear itself. People who have that either suicide or get murdered.

     I opened my cramped window and jumped down from the second floor. I was pretty flexible and athletic. This was just my daily routine. If mom saw me, she'd go demonic on me because I look like my handsome dad that every girl fell for just by looking at him. Sure you'd think it was a blessing but for me, it reminded me of my horrible dad that abandoned us. I've always laughed it off though. "Thanks for abandoning your son," I grumbled. I took my skateboard from out the bushes that I hid last night.

     School was only like twelve minutes away by walking for me. I love the feel of the wind passing me up, it makes me feel real. Like I have somewhere to be. Not just some 16 year old high school boy out of millions. My friend Zach pulled up next to me on his black motorcycle.

     "Yo." I said.
     "Yo dude! That was some sick activities last night!" He shouted.
     "Uh.. yeah." I tried to be awkward. We looked at each other and bursted out laughing. Next thing I knew, we were both at Marlee High School. It was pretty big, it had 3 floors with a large garden infront of the school. I ran into the building, excited to see everyone's auras.

     The school smelled like cleaning wax. I took a quick look at my schedule. Homeroom was... 104. I came a bit early to have time to memorize the school rooms, paths, what so ever. Zach  came up behind me.

     "Hey," he muttered on my neck. I calmly turned around and said, "Dude, what the heck." He scratched his head, "You really can't be scared." I just had a hard time in life. I don't think anything can really scare me anymore.

     "You like anyone yet?" He asked.
     "Nah, never really thought about it."
     "Dude every girl fawns over you." I thought about it for a moment, yeah, they kind of did. But only because of my dad's looks. Suddenly, I thought about the green eyes girl. "Well not every." I said.