Chapter 25 - Dawn

The horse halted to a stop as Dawn released her breath. She removed her hold from Janet, biting back a nervous laugh. She was expecting the ride to be a lot worse than it was. Well, it probably would have been if it weren't for the tons of hay they had fed Inferno before setting out.

"Huh, maybe this horse isn't as bad as I thought," Janet said, as she dismounted the horse. "Who knew that just some hay would be enough to tame it?"

Dawn hopped down. She reached out a hand to pet Inferno's head but it shied away from her touch. He gave her a pointed look and trotted a few steps away. Her face fell.

"He's back to being his normal self now," Dawn said with a sigh. "We're going to need a lot more hay if we need to keep Inferno in check."

Inferno snorted at that, rolling his eyes as if to say, 'Good luck with that'.

"You can do that. After all, you're the one who picked him not me." Janet smirked. "And you named him Inferno? How conceited."

"He's my horse and I'll name him whatever I like." Dawn huffed and crossed her arms. "What would you have named your horse?"

"That's easy. Whirlwind, of course." Janet paused, realizing what she had just said. She shook her head vigorously. "Of course not, I forgot to add that. I would never name him Whirlwind."

A smirk tugged at the corner of Dawn's lips. Who could have ever thought that Janet of all people would like my idea?

"Speaking about horses," Adam said, walking up to them, "look at Keith's. Seems like a real catch compared to ours."

Dawn followed his gaze, as it landed on the silver-haired mercenary. He was standing next to a magnificent white stallion, a smile hovering on his lips. His fingers were curling through the horse's ivory mane, smoothing it back with every stroke.

Dawn found herself smiling at the sight. Keith's gaze suddenly locked on to hers as he grinned. She quickly looked away in embarrassment. "Well, so?" she asked. "How does that matter?"

"It's a white horse, that's what the problem is! You don't find white horses with mercenaries. Sure, a noble might have one. But a mercenary? Certainly not." Adam sighed, dropping his voice to a whisper. "Don't you find it odd how he popped out of nowhere? He doesn't seem like the person who would help simply anyone. It's like he was specifically waiting for you to show up. Like it was all a part of some... plan."

His words stung Dawn. She knew nothing about Keith but the urge to defend him rose within her. "You're being ridiculous, Adam. I don't know anyone outside Shadowdale. He helped me out because I was in trouble. That's all."

As the words left her, she wondered if she was making the right choice. It had seemed right to her when she spoke. But there was that voice again; the one that sent off warning bells tolling in her mind. It refused to leave no matter what, remaining like a nagging presence. She wasn't going to give up. She wanted to do this.

She wanted to trust Keith.

Adam stared at her, his gaze flickering to Keith before returning back to her. "For your sake, I hope you're right," he muttered. "I don't even want to be proven right here." He gazed into the distance and toward the kingdom they had left. His eyes were narrowed, as though seeking out something, or someone. Then he shook his head and brushed past her without another word.

"I've come back with some wood," Abigail announced. Dawn glanced at Abigail standing behind her. Her figure was faintly outlined in the dusky moonlight, as she set the wood on the ground. She gestured a hand to Dawn. "If you would."