Chapter 23 - Dusk

"You're wrong."

Charles glanced over at him, an eyebrow raised. "And why do you say that?"

A smug smile twitched at the corner of Dusk's lips. "I had been living without magic or any riches before I came to Eldatrion," he said. "I know how it feels to be without anything, unlike you. But what about you, Charles? You've been serving the king since years now. You wouldn't know about peasantry. What will you do?"

It's too late to take back my words now. I know that I'm right about my magic, but I can't say the same about my life before I became the prince. Something's very wrong with my memories.

A dangerous spark of annoyance had flashed in Charles' eyes at his words. "Is that so?" he asked in a low tone. "Is that what you think?"

Dusk brushed away the twinge of hesitation that had popped in then. His smile widened into a full-blown grin. "Of course I do."

Charles made a clicking sound with his tongue, shaking his head. The annoyance in his eyes was replaced by amuse. "How naïve. So very naïve. You really need to get rid of this arrogant attitude of yours, my dear Dusk." He pushed back his dark curls from his forehead, stormy eyes glaring at him. "You'd do better to underestimate me. It's my duty to be prepared for all sorts of situations, including Gemageia's. I won't go down that easily."

Dusk leaned back against a tree, crossing his arms. His serious expression contrasted against that of Charles, as he regarded him with narrowed eyes. "How about we have a little challenge, Charles?" he finally said. "Or should I say, Cale?" He snickered at the name, only to notice Charles expression tighten. "We'll both have to return to Eldatrion once we're done with our mission." Even if we want to do something else first.

"And where are you going with this?"

"You know exactly what I mean, Charles," Dusk said. He raised his head high. And then he said, "I want this to be a challenge. A challenge to see which one of us lasts longer in Gemageia with no magic. And if I win-"

"-you'll fight against me." Charles cut him off.

Dusk scratched his head in puzzlement, before nodding. "Well, yes."

"It's no surprise that you'd keep that as your victory. You just won't give up on that childish whim of yours."

How can I when the only emotion I feel around you is anger? You ruined my life. I won't kill you, but seeing you lie defeated will be enough for me.

Charles stroked his stubble, a thoughtful expression on his face. Then he smirked. "I accept. But as always, I have my conditions. If I win," an ominous tone crept into his voice, "you will have to grovel at my feet and admit that you can never ever defeat me. And, of course, never demand to duel with me. Ever."

Dusk gritted his teeth. A scowl slipped onto his face. His first thought was to turn down the challenge at once. Groveling in Charles' feet was unacceptable in every manner. And never challenge him again? Impossible.

But a tiny voice at the back of his head made him stop. It urged him to think of the conditions calmly, instead of being rash like he always was. Sure, it would be pretty bad for him if he lost this challenge. But if he didn't, what would be the harm in accepting?

"Fine, I accept as well," he spat out. "And this time, I won't lose."

"I'm sure you won't."

Dusk opened his mouth to say something again, when he heard faint footsteps behind him. He spun around, only to find himself facing Geoffrey. "Oh, it's just you people."