Chapter 17 - Dusk

The first thing that Dusk noticed was the sudden silence the room had been plunged into. The voices quieted down instantly, heads turning in his direction. They stared at him and scrutinized his ragged attire, a little critically he saw. But he had gotten used to it over the years.

The Royal Guard. The best soldiers in the whole of Eldatrion, masters of physical and magical combat. Each had their own special talents and strengths, weaknesses unknown to most. They were sworn to protect the king till he died, even if it would cost them their own life. There was no way out once you had taken the oath. Both an honor and a curse.

That's when his gaze finally landed on the familiar masked figure sitting at the far end of the table. The king. A cold feeling settled through Dusk, something he didn't feel often. Fear.

"Well, well. I see you've finally decided to join us," the king said, his dark eyes gazing at him from under the black mask. "I thought you would never come. Always had that rebellious spirit inside you, Adrian."

For a moment, Dusk was confused as to who the king was addressing. He was certain before that it was him but wasn't so sure anymore. He opened his mouth to ask but before he could, someone coughed faintly. An elderly man sat on his left, looking at him with slight annoyance. His eyes held a warning within them. And that's when realization finally sunk in.

Of course, I'm Adrian, the future king-to-be! Not 'Dusk'. How can I forget that?

Dusk resisted the urge to smile sheepishly, knowing that it wouldn't be encouraged here, and cleared his throat. "I had gone for a walk around the courtyard, Your Majesty," he said.

"Is that so now? Well Charles here has a different story to tell," he said in an almost pleasant tone. "He is certain that you were hacking at a hay dummy in the training grounds. I am glad to see your growing interest in archery but such anger is not healthy, Adrian. You must control it at all times, and keep your calm. I do not wish to see such behavior from you in the future. Am I understood?" Then he smiled, the twisted turn of his lips that sent shivers crawling down Dusk's spine each time.

Dusk quickly glanced at Charles, who was standing right next to the king. He had changed into his royal golden robes. His face showed no sign of exhaustion - or even worry - only the hint of an amused smile.

It took Dusk everything to not go and punch him right there and then.

"Yes, Your Majesty," he said, gritting his teeth.

"Very well then. Take a seat, Adrian. There is something of utmost importance I wish to tell you."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"And I hope you do not mind the absence of food here. I thought you wouldn't need any after that extremely filling training of yours."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"So you agree with me?"

"Yes, Your- I mean, no! Wait, I mean yes!" Dusk fumbled for words, wringing his hands in slight panic. Damn, why does this keep happening to me? Why can't I ever make a good impression when it comes to the king?

The king's eyes suddenly blazed, shades darker than it had been a moment ago. As if on instinct, the seven people sitting around the table quickly glanced down at the table, Charles doing the same.

He didn't even have to guess what was going to happen next.

A thunderous bolt pierced through Dusk, the paralyzing feeling spreading through his body. His legs were frozen in place, heart beating twice as fast now. He bit the inside of his mouth to stop himself from screaming out loud and squeezed his eyes shut. He wouldn't give the king that pleasure.