Chapter 1(Part 1)

A/N: This is NOT CONSIDERED ANIME. It's Japanese mythology. Anime is  japanese cartoons and there might be elements pertaining to it, but other than that it's not the same thing, so please give it a chance. Thank you and I hope you enjoy it!

    At times like these I can almost pretend that I'm normal. I'm not a girl that's pretending to be human, but an actually human who attends a regular school and has a regular friend, a regular father and a regular life. I gazed around the ferry at all the normal people.

   An old couple was getting their picture taken in front of the water and a young boy ran past them while his mother yelled at him in a shrill voice to stop. Above our deck were the crew members talking to the captain while he was steering the boat. A caught a whiff of the salty sea air coming off the ocean and a cool mist sprayed my face. I closed my eyes and smiled as I listened to the mindless banter around me and the seagulls overhead.

  Yep, anyone in that moment would think I was just a mundane girl on my way to Alcatraz to learn about its exciting history, but really I was there for a whole new reason altogether, a reason that could save all these passengers' lives. I opened my eyes and caught my best friend, Rin Oswald, staring at me.

“Please tell me there's nothing on my face." I told him.

  He broke out of his stupor and his face changed to the color of his hair. "What? No, there isn't. I was just...You really like it out here don't you?"

  I sighed as I leaned forward on the rail. "Yeah, don't you?" We went over a big wave and I gripped the railing so I wouldn’t get thrown over. Rin on the other hand, stumbled back and I caught him by the arm to steady him. "You might want to be careful."

His face turned from a light shade of red to green. "I figured," he murmured. He joined me back at the railing and gripped it tighter than before, his knuckles turning white.

"Thanks for coming with me." This couldn't have been easy for him because I knew how much he hated boat rides, but when he heard that i never been to Alcatraz even though I spent all of my (human) life in San Francisco, he insisted on taking me.

He gave me a weak smile and said, "Anytime,

  When we arrived on the island dock, I gripped the strap of my sword sheath that I had disguised as a messenger bag. People began to get off the boat and I was following them when I caught sight of a slender girl still standing on the deck. Her long brown hair was in a French braid down her back and she wore brown leather fingerless gloves and knee length boots made out of the same material. She also wore dark blue jeans and a violet pea coat over her outfit. When she saw me looking-more like glaring-at her, she grinned and sauntered over.

"Well looks like Akihiro put us on the same mission." She said.

I crossed my arms. 'I don't need your help."

"I think you'll be change your mind soon enough."

"Ladies, we're unboarding!" A crew member called down to us.

  I wasted no time, getting away from her. I didn't believe my mentor sent Talise to help me with a petty job such as this. All I was doing was taking care of a Spirit Kitsune gone rogue. If the thing managed to get a hold of the mortals here, it could suck their souls right out of them.

"How about we make it a race?" Talise asked, appearing beside me. "The first one to find the soul-sucker, gets to kill it and gets full credit."

"So eager to impress the boss aren't we?"

“There you are!" Rin shouted. he was pushing past the throng of people to get to where we were in the back. "I've been looking for-- Oh hi Talise, I never expected to see you here."