Chapter 50: A Night Out-Part Two

I took a second to admire the scenario in front of me.

The streets were crowded with people, some of them undeniably paparazzi. There was a hint of summer weather in the air and the colors on Nina's clothes shone under the sun. I proudly took pictures of her as she giggled, not being used to this kind of behavior from me.

She was beautiful indeed. Through the camera lens, her olive toned skin was glowing, on the wind her hair was flowing, and her smile was so bright it unfocused the camera shot. Her smile soon became flirtatious as she stood up on her tip toes to kiss me.

The summer temperature of my lips was replaced by the temperature on Nina's lips but I didn't seemed to notice.

Somehow, it felt...okay. It's good...but I couldn't help but to feel like there was something missing. Something inside of me always hoped for more.

Being pulled out of my thoughts, I felt like I had to force a smile so Nina wouldn't ask what's wrong. But my train of thought resumed its course as we kept walking.

The problem wasn't Nina. She was a good person and, even before we started dating, she was a good friend. But my heart never settled. The more I had, the more I wanted. And, truth is, I hadn't yet found what really satisfied me. And it took me a walk through the streets of Florida to realize...

I was out of myself today. I looked at everything except were I was going. We started walking through Capricorn Boulevard as Nina started talking about something I couldn't hear above all the rest of the commotion.

The further we walked, the stronger I could hear it. At first, it was a faint whisper in the breeze. Then, it slowly turned into a drowning melody. And as I got closer I realized, it was a melody disguised as a voice.

This voice was a female voice. A powerful, yet tender female voice. So hypnotizing, that babies could peacefully fall asleep to the sound. I was able to make up a phrase at the distance I was.

Only you are the life among the dead.

Her voice sounded like the answer to all my questions. And god forbid I leave the guitar accompanying her voice go by unnoticed. They were the perfect combination. My head was turned as much as my neck would allow to find the source of this melody. It was coming from across the street and I had to stretch my neck to look above from Nina's head. All I saw was a group of people obviously gathered around what I was looking for.

Sadly, the song was over but, fortunately for me, the woman playing stood up to stretch her legs and get ready for another song. She had her back to me, showing off her long, perfectly, and naturally waved brown hair. Her hair was so long, in fact, that I didn't saw the end of it from were I was standing.

Turn around, turn around, I thought. Turn around, turn around.

Unfortunately, she didn't answered my unvoiced pleas. Instead, she simply held on to her hair and pulled it up on a messy bun revealing her back. Which was previously hiding underneath layers and layers of beautiful hair. She was wearing a black tank top and I saw a tattoo in between her shoulders.

I could be wrong... But it looked like a batman symbol.

I clearly underestimated his story-telling abilities. While he was talking, it felt as if I myself were there...which I was but, not exactly.

"So... you had heard me before actually meeting me?" I asked to sum up the story. He gave a quick 'yeap'. "And did you knew it was me when we met?"

"Oh I didn't knew it was you when we met." He said. "After I found out about the tattoo I had some doubts but it could have been a coincidence. That's what I thought at least before I heard you again." He said conclusively. "And, actually, I was quite sad. I never got to hear the whole song." He said when we took a seat on one of those benches.

It was the furtherest away from any city light or other walking citizen but the cold night air was still intact. I thought for a second what could have been the song he heard me singing. Then I remembered the line he was able to make out back then. Only you are the light among the dead. It must have been Bring Me To Life. I wrote that song out of a dream I had when I was 19.

"I have no guitar but, here goes nothing." I said with a shrug of my shoulders before I started. I had closed my eyes under the intensity of the song, but I felt Ian stirring beside me, getting his phone out. I assumed he only recorded a bit because, when I finished the song and finally opened my eyes, the phone was nowhere to be seen.

"I should've crossed the street." He said -meaning when he first heard me before knowing it was me- before kissing me on the head. I giggled as he pulled me closer to him before laying my head on his shoulder. I looked up to him from my spot on his neck. I decided to get a proper look at the man beside me and retracted my head.

"You have a nice looking face, you know that?" I said as I took his face with one hand and moved his face so the light would hit him in different angles. He tried to laugh under my grasp. "I wanna draw it." I said determined.

He was able to laugh properly now that I had let go of him and proposed for me to draw it back at my hotel room. Once I agreed, we were on our way.

-x-

We were laying on either side of the couch with our legs intertwined as I drew. He was taking the liberty of watching the video he took earlier and I saw him smiling as he looked at the screen. I had to remind him not to move most of the time.

We talked a lot during this drawing process. He spoke to me about all the things his foundation was working on, all the projects he had in mind, all the things he wanted to achieve. We shared opinion on all the things we were passionate about, almost all the same things. We laughed at occasions but I had to remind him to sit still and hold the initial pose.

When speaking wasn't an option for him anymore, he moved on to caressing my legs. My shivering made him smirk and it also made me think. Was this really was he was looking for? In his story, he felt like he didn't had enough. For me, the fact of his lips being the same temperature as Nina's was a form of Ian to express that it wasn't enough.

Heat on heat. It was normal, ordinary.

He always commented on how cold my body temperature is. Could that be a sign?

Heat on heat. It was normal, ordinary. Coldness on heat. That was something else. The nearest contact would send shivers all over you. The type of shiver you would embrace and grow to want, need even. The type of shiver that we were both experiencing as I plastered his image down on my sketchbook.

My hand danced around the page as I looked down at it and up at Ian repeatedly. Soon, I had stopped looking at an intense pair of eyes only to look down at a pair just as intense as the real ones. I saw Ian smirking at my look of pure determination more than once before I started with the last touches.

Once I was done, I looked at my sketchbook with pride and Ian grew impatient, stirring on the couch onto a better siting position so he could see the drawing for himself. Once he did, a look of amazement came over his face.

As much as I wanted him to stay, he couldn't. He had a plane to catch and I would leave first thing in the morning. Once he was gone, I admired his image on my sketchbook. Even if he weren't here, I still had something to remember him by, as I'm sure he had the video of me from that night.