Chapter 14 - it wanted to be a firecracker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CHAPTER 14 – it wanted to be a firecracker ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Silence.

A long silence engulfed us, making it harder to breathe. I couldn’t look at him, I just couldn’t. It was too difficult to do, so I did what any normal coward would do in my situation and just started at my feet. In fact, my staring actually turned into a glare. I was glaring at my shoes as I it was somehow their fault that Mike wasn’t saying anything, and was leaving me to dwell in a huge pool of...well…I couldn’t describe it.

My heart was pounding again, blood rushing to my head. I felt horrible. In that moment I felt anxious, scared, insecure, and exposed. But there was one thing I did know for sure, and that was that I did not like feeling this way.

Suddenly I felt angry. Why was he not talking? How dare he make me feel like this! The glare on my feet intensified. I was almost burning holes through them.

Finally, my raging temper allowed me to look up.

Confusion. Worry. Then blank.

The range of emotions coursing through Mike’s eyes abruptly stopped. As soon as he saw the glare I was directing at him. He made no move to speak, but only motioned for me to enter.

I stalked inside, sat myself on his chair, and took to staring defiantly out of his window. I had no idea why. I was in his apartment after just asking to speak with him, and then all I did was sit down and glare out the window. Smooth Len.

The tension-filled silence was cut by Mike.

“You wanted to speak with me?”

“Yes I did. About the other day, I-“

“Look Len, I really need to say this before you completely ruin all my hopes and dreams”

“FINE! Say it then”

“Len, I like you. A lot” he said bluntly, his eyes shining with…something unidentifiable, “When I first saw you I knew that you were the one for me. You are so beautiful, one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever seen. You are smart, sexy, feisty and confident, but you are also funny, kind, and sensitive. You are 100% bewitching. Unfortunately, you just happen to be going through hell with a cheating boyfriend. And I know you’re trying to figure out what to do about Jack, and payback etc etc. But the fact of the matter is that I’m sick and tired of waiting. I want you to be mine and soon. When we kissed, it was no mistake. I didn’t mean nothing to me, it meant a lot. And when you went running out that door, I felt as though I’d ruined my chances of getting you. You’ve consumed my thoughts, and I’ve thought of nothing but you since then”

My thoughts went blank and I just stared at him. I’m pretty sure more than 5 minutes went by with me just gaping at him in shock. I was most definitely not expecting that.

My thoughts then rapidly started to conjure up questions. Why would he like me? What is there to like?