Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I sighed in relief, resting my face into my palms, elbows on the desk as I finally finished the last prisoner log for the day.

And it was already noon.

The servant came into my office only moments ago to assure me that Noe had recovered from his hangover and was currently enjoying a healthy meal that should settle his stomach. She informed me he had returned to his regular self. Normally, I would take him with me on rounds through Tartarus, but with the Titans plotting to seek out an oracle, now was not the time to take him on field trips.

Of course, that didn't mean I couldn't check on him before I left.

I got up from my desk, tucking my files away in the desk drawer, turning the locks before I made my way out into the corridor. Even from here, I could smell the warm scent of lunch being made. It smelled like chicken and dumplings, but there was only one way to find out.

I swept down the corridor, taking each step carefully and slowly to give me time to think before I arrived in the dining room to meet with Noe. I had a feeling he wouldn't appreciate my mentioning last night, so I would certainly keep all of that to myself. It gave me a somewhat powerful sensation, and at the same time, a little guilt swimming deep inside.

But everyone acted ridiculous when they were drunk. There was simply no control there, and only trying got you hurt. The fact that Noe had gotten drunk at all worried me, however. Hannibal must have said something that got to him, and while the two got along like cat and dog, Noe didn't usually cave into Hannibal's taunting. Something Hannibal said made Noe over drink and there was no way I was letting Hannibal get away with such a thing. I made a mental note to speak to Cain so he could punish Hannibal, and knowing Cain, he would do it right in front of me to make sure I was pleased.

Not that watching someone receiving punished pleased me at all. I may be the warden of Tartarus, but I was not a sadist.

I also needed to contact Malachi about another meeting soon to discuss the status of the Titans.

I just finished a week's worth of prisoner logs in one night, and yet there was still so much to do, so much to get done. It almost gave me a headache, but I willed it away as I entered the kitchen, earning respectful bows from each servant I passed until I made it to the back door to the dining room. I opened it up to a large, tall room with a rather small low table sitting at the center under a long, glittering chandelier. Pale purple pillows were set on each end, a meal already prepared for myself, even though I didn't think about eating.

Noe was sitting on his pillow, eating his chicken and dumplings with loud slurps sounds until he saw me approaching and quickly set the bowl down, a drop of juice sliding down his chin. I raised an eyebrow at that and he blushed, quickly wiping it away and clearing his throat.

"G-Good morning." He greeted. I smiled lightly at that. He was embarrassed. He seemed only cuter when he was like that. I nodded to him and took my seat, picking up my silverware to eat. Noe cleared his throat, shifting uneasily. He reached up to stroke his throat, making me frown.

"Are you all right?" I asked. Noe looked uncomfortable with my attentiveness and nodded, picking up his glass of water.

"Yeah, just a sore throat." He replied timidly, taking a few deep gulps until the cup was empty. He still looked to be in discomfort, so I summoned a servant to come and get him more water.

"How are you feeling?" I asked him nonchalantly as I took a sip of my water to wash down the chicken that for some reason tasted sour to me. Noe shifted a little, reaching up to try and tuck a lock of hair behind his ear, only to have it slide back into place by his cheek, so he cocked his head instead, eyes averted.