Project Superhuman Chapter 8

Project Superhuman

Chapter 8

*PRESENT*

I was sat on my bed, staring at the door. I kept getting my hopes up whenever it swayed. 

I was bored out of my mind, but my eyes still didn't leave the door. I could easily grab one of the many books beside my bed, but my eyes remained in the same place. 

After three hours I started to get annoyed. 

Where was everyone? 

Just when I was about to give up and go to bed, a shadowy figure emerged from the doorway. 

"Hey!" Autumn said, "Guess what?"

"What?" I smiled. 

"You want the good or the bad news first?"

I considered this. "Bad."

"John's coming back."

"What?! Why? People think he's a nutcase!"

"Exactly. His therapist suggested that he should visit you, so he can see you're not a threat."

"He told the therapist about this? About me?"

"He told a... Varied version..."

"And that means...?"

"According to John, you are his friend's dog," she laughed. 

I grinned. "Really? Woof."

"Yep. He's under a contract. Anyone working for this company that isn't a relative or close friend of my dad's has to sign a contract."

"Why?"

"Why?! Because this is extremely, extremely illegal! Don't you know?"

"Really? Why hasn't anyone said anything?"

"Because they're all under contracts."

I waited for a moment. 

"Why haven't... you told anyone?"

A sad look fell across her face. "He's my dad... I can't betray him. I know he's a monster for this, but he's really a good person. I can't let him down."

"Oh."

"But we WILL find a way out of this. I promise."

"But you said..."

"I said I didn't want to sell my dad out, not that I didn't want help you."

"Thank you."

We sat in silence for a while. 

"What's that good news you were going to tell me?" I said, trying to lighten the mood. 

"Oh right! You're getting a hair cut!"

"Cool!"

"Yeah, I convinced them to get you a good one, too! Y'know, to 'help' with the selling."

"I-"

She cut me off. "Don't worry. As long as I'm here, you're not going anywhere!"

"And..." she said slowly, "You... Are getting... A Television!"

"Really? Why?!"

"It's to help you develop the ability to talk. But I'm gonna buy you Kung Fu Panda."

"Kung Fu what?"

"Panda! It's like a black and white cat, but fat. Plus, it can talk."

"Pandas can talk?"