Chapter Twenty Six

Jessi's Point of View

___________________________________________________________________________

Things were changing. Anyone could see that. I certaintly noticed a big change in things.

Adrienne, after a couple weeks in bed, slowly began feeling better. Day by day.

The third week in Rochester she started waking up around eight in the morning and laying in the grass outside while I gardenedd for Joelene, and while Luke tried to study for what he'd be missing in college.

"Morning, Jess." she said that Monday morning. She was walking slowly, but not leaning against anything or person. She looked kind of excited.

"Morning...are you feeling better?" I asked cautiosly, handing her the box of Lucky Charms and a bowl.

She smiled at me a little bit and sat down at the table. I watched her pour the cereal and scarf it down. This was definetely different.  Adrienne had taken to eating slowly and quietly.

when she finished she smiled over at me.

"A little bit, yeah." She said. I sat down at the table with her and ate my cereal. She watched me like I did to her. But it made me feel aawkward because I ate like a pig. My red hair dipped into my milk and I groaned.

"Napkin." She said simply, handing me one from the bin in the middle of the table. I wasn't sure what was going on with her. It was just too weird.

___________________________________________________________________________

On Tuesday morning she came downstairs again after taking a shower, instead of her usual bath, and made herself toast while I sat at the table.

"You know Jessi, my friend Harry is coming down to visit this weekend. He's just broken up with his summer sweetie. I'm leaving it up to you to cheer him up." She informed me, sitting down next to me and handing me a few slices of toast.

"hey now! He's down here to see you, that's how he'll be happy. You better not be trying to hook us up." I warned. She laughed and took a bite of the slightly burnt toast. It must have been the way she liked it because I sure didn't. I ate it for her sake.

"Why not, Jessi? If Luke hadn't come around I'd probably be in love with Harry! He's really good looking and funny and a lot like you. And you both happen to be single, and staying in my mother's house." She pointed out.  Adrienne crunched away at her toast and I thought for a while.

"Morning chickies! How are you feeling Adrienne? Jessi, I want you in the front yard today doing the garden. That's what everyone will see you know." Joelene walked downstairs and patted us each on the head before sitting down at the head of the table.

"You girls seen Luke? I need him to help me paint up the living room today. Pale pink's the color." She keept talking like this the whole time we ate.

"mom, i think Luke went out for some more college textbooks. Are you ever gonna give these two a break?" Adrienne finally answered her mother. Joelene laughed and chatted with Adrienne as if they were living normal lives and Adrienne wasn't at deaths door.

Which I wasn't so sure she was anymore.

After breakfast I got in my cargo shorts and Presley Track t-shirt. I quickly pulled my hair into a bouncy ponytail and headed outside to plant some of the flowers I had picked out at Home Depot. Gardening was kind of my thing lately, the one thing I had to myself.