Chapter 11

About an hour later, I dried my eyes, telling myself I was being ridiculous. I shouldn't care about this guy, he left us and we lived without him, why do I care if he left? I told myself. With a sigh, I pasted a relaxed expression on my face and headed down to the living room. My puppies ran at me, and I scooped Dollie and Elvis into my arms, plopping them on the couch next to me, allowing Bert and Ernie to come up too. My mother was in the kitchen with Aunt Lynne, Paul had Richard outside, probably showing him his rusty old motorcycle. Luke sat on the armchair across the room reading a book. "So, Adrienne, what happened?" he asked, dropping his book and moving to sit by me. He put his arm around my shoulders and rubbed my shoulder with his thumb.

"Richard..he's my dad." I muttered, petting the dogs. Bert nudged my arm with his nose and I patted his head.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Luke asked, pulling Dollie into his lap.

"Nah. It isn't really that big of a deal." I said.

"Oh. Well, um, if it's okay with you, your mom and Richard and Kayla are staying the night because the storm is getting pretty bad." He looked at me nervously.

"Why do you look at me like that? I love my mom, I'm glad she's staying." I watched as Elvis curled by my leg, and Bert and Ernie curled up against him.

"Okay, okay, I know. i just figured maybe you were mad at her or something."

"Well I'm not."

"I know."

I looked into his loving eyes. Then I stood up and walked outside into the pouring rain, knowing he would follow me. Sure enough, as I sloshed across the wide space from the house to the barn, I heard Luke sloshing behind me. Inside the barn it was warm, but dark. Luke stepped inside and pushed the big doors shut, flipping a switch that turned on a few strings of Christmas lights. The rain pattered on the roof.

"Why is it so warm in here?" I asked, walking over to an old ladder. I climbed slowly, each step creaking. It led to a loft area with an old couch and a chest and lots of hay.

"Last summer I helped Paul install a heating system in here. The horses like it a lot better." Luke said, following me. I walked around, finding myself at the dusty chest. Inside were a bunch of quilts and a rag doll.

"Who's is this?" I asked, tossing the doll to him.

"Rachie's. She likes to play up here when someone will take her. That couch is from the basement. They got a new one last summer. And Paul hates to throw things away." Luke sat down on the couch and beckoned me over. I walked over to the huge barn window. The whole property was a muddy wonderland, and at the main house I could see everyone in the kitchen window gathered at the table. I was glad no one had come looking for us. Lynne and Paul had quickly picked up on how Luke and I worked.

A set of arms wrapped around me tightly, caressing me as I looked. Luke began to kiss my neck softly, then my ear. Then he turned me around and kissed me passionately on the lips for what seemed like an eternity. It was amazing. I barely noticed as he gently lifted me into his arms and walked to the couch. We sat. Eventually we were laying down, me on top of him. I worked his wet muscle shirt off as we kissed. His hands slowly moved down my back onto my butt. He then pulled off my shirt so that I was only in my bra, pressed against his hot chest.

That's about as far as we got before I fell asleep briefly. When I woke up, i was covered in a quilt, snuggled against Luke. I thought about the night at the party and suddenly had a question.

"Luke? Tanya said that you guys almost went all the way." I said rather loud. He turned onto his side to look at me.

"did she now? I'm glad you aren't mad at me. You're being ever-so-reasonable. Actually, what happened was she took off her clothes in a desperate attempt to keep me from leaving her. And I gently told her to get dressed, tempting me would not work." He smirked.

"I was a little mad, but I sort of forgot about it when you were carrying me home. But really? She's such an airhead." I laughed. i felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

"Also, what time is it?" I giggled. He looked at me blankly. Neither of us knew. It was bright out, and the rain had stopped. I got up and put on my shirt, as Luke did the same. He kissed me and we went down the ladder and opened the barn doors. Sunlight poured in. The grass was flooded, but birds still sang. In the distance I saw my mom with Kayla on her hip, watching Richard pack things into the SUV. Lynne stood behind her, with Paul a good foot away. I wondered what was going on with them, who the woman was that upset Lynne so much. We walked to where everyone stood. Paul winked at me, and Lynne pulled me to her.

"Honey, you better say something to Richard. He feels bad." Lynne whispered. I nodded reluctantly.

Everyone was in the car, so first I went to kiss Kayla. Then I kissed my mother, a tear running down her cheek. I tried to ignore it. Then I leaned in Richard's window.

"Hey Dick. I forgive you. Treat my mommy nice, okay buddy?" I patted his "joelene" tattoo gingerly and walked back to Luke and Lynne and Paul. We all waved as they drove away.

"I hate that man." Paul said before he walked away. I burst out laughing, snorting and being overall goofy. Luke shook his head with a smile and followed Paul inside. When i pulled myself together, I sat with Lynne on the porch. I remembered what I needed to ask her.

'Hey Lynne. I have a sort of an idea, but I need you help." I whispered her my plan, and she smiled.

"I know just what you need."