Chapter Nine

It was the first Saturday of having our kiddos, as we called them. They seriously acted like little kids. And it was adorable. Luke was packing a suitcase with my stuff and his. We were going on a "little vacation" from our farm life. He wouldn't tell me where, though. I was blindfolded before leaving the house, and buckled into Luke's car. Luke told me that Dollie yipped and scratched at the big window of my room, and Bert was sleeping on the window seat. the other two dogs were asleep in their beds, too. It was around time they would take naps.

"where are we going, Luke? Seriously?" I moaned playfully after about an hour of driving.

"You'll see in five minutes. Pinky promise." He replied, hooking his big pinkie into my bony one. I laughed.

As he promised, about five minutes later we were parking. Luke lugged our suitcase out of the car and led me to the edge of what sounded like a lake. He whipped off the blindfold, and floating in the water was Paul's boat.

"Lukie! I love you!" I cried, jumping up and down. He grinned, satisfied.

"Well, come on, come on!" Luke ushered me onto the boat, my flip flopped feet sinking into the wet sand in the shallow water. The boat had a bottom level with a bed and table and mini-fridge and bathroom. The poop deck, right? No, it wasn't a poop deck, at least I thought so.

The deck had a leather cushioned couch curving around the bow of the boat. And three stair steps led to the steering area.

I loved boats.

"so, uh, we'll be out on the water for about two days. Paul wants us back on the farm to watch the kids. Lynne is taking a vacation with her sister. Very spontaneous." He grunted as he pushed the suitcase under the fold out bed. I merely nodded, taking in the sight. When I was a kid my mom never  took me on boats because she got seasick easily. That may have had to do with the fact that she used to be drunk every day and night.

Speaking of Mom, I decided to try her again.

Luke started up the boat and promptly picked up speed while I went  to the room where it was somewhat quieter. I dialed my mom's cell phone number and waited.

One ring. Two rings. Three rings. Four-

"Hello?" my mom said. Her tone was unreadable.

"Mom, hi. It's Addie." I said, using my nickname my mom always called me by.

"Addie, hey. Uh, well...Richard stop it." My mom giggled. I laughed at the name of her newest boy toy.

"who's Richard?" I snickered.

"No one. Actually someone. Someone I want you to meet. I need to see you. I miss you and I have some news." She groaned at the last part about her "news". Either she was dreading it or Richard was being extremely inappropriate.

"News? Good or bad?" I nervously asked.

"D--depends" she stuttered, a hiccup between each 'd'. She was drunk again.

"When do you want to meet up? Where?" I asked, growing more anxious each second. News with my mom was never good. But hey, maybe she was just announcing another engagement that would be called off in about a week. That happened about three times before.

"Well...ooo...baby I miss you. Being without you...has brought some problems. hon, i've started drinking again. It's not as serious as before, but something I really shouldn't be doing..especia- I need to see you. As soon as possible. You call me when you fit me into your schedule."

"Will do mommy..mom?"

"Yeah, baby?"

"will you stop drinking until I see you again? At least, if not altogether?"

hiccup.

"I'll try honey. Love you, bye!" I was alone on the phone.

Filled with curiosity, I went to sit by Luke as he drove the boat.

He had on just his cargo shorts. I almost fainted at his extremely well sculpted body. Every day I asked myself how someone like me ended up with someone like him. I was way too lucky. I guess thats why..cancer...happened. I used up all my luck on Luke. Good decision, I told myself.

"Luke?"

"Adrie-" I cut him off.

"As soon as we get home, can my mom visit? She told me she has to tell me some "depends" news. And she wants me to meet Richard" I smirked at his name. Only my mom would date a Richard.

"Sure thing, babe. Wanna go swimming?" He switched subjects, knowing the 'depends' news would bug me if I didn't do something.

I skittered down to change into my white and navy striped bikini, tugging my hair out of it's ponytail holder. I placed my cell phone on the counter and skipped upstairs. Luke was standing at the little gate, holding it open. He swept me into his strong, strong arms and jumped into the water. It was cool and refreshing against my hot, burning from the sun skin.

We splashed and played and flirted in the water for a while, until I began to feel weak. I only had so much  energy these days. I tried not to think about that, though.

I dragged myself out of  the water and quickly fell asleep on the now-soaked leather couch, Luke rubbing my palm with his strong thumb.

I wish I could show him how much I care. I thought.

Then a non-es ee ex idea popped into my head.