Chapter 14: "As happy as Fred hates comics"

It was beginning to get dark before we got out of the mountainside.

"I think we better stay here the night," GoGo spoke up, "Or we'll get lost in the dark."

Without hesitation, everyone nodded in agreement. After finding a safe spot to spend the night, Fred made us a fire with his super suit and we all gathered around it.

"As soon as the sun rises tomorrow, we'll continue on our way. As for now, do whatever the heck you guys want to do. I'm going to sleep- too hungry to stay awake," GoGo ordered before lying down on the dirt and closing her eyes.

"I'm going to bed too," Fred threw himself onto the ground and curled up.

"There's no way I'm gonna get any sleep tonight," Wasabi shivered as he moved away from the fire to come and sit beside me, "Do you know how many insects and spiders are out here? I do not wanna wake up with a tarantula on my face."

I laughed at his last statement. Then I remembered why we were here in the first place and a frown took over my smile. As if Wasabi could read my mind, he comforted me.

"Don't worry Hiro. We'll look for Cass again tomorrow. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Do you want me to give you the whole list?"

"Just try and be positive about this. Negativity doesn't make dreams come true, it drinks the once full glass to make it half empty," Wasabi explained.

"How can I be positive!?" I yelled, losing control of myself, "I can't just pretend it's going to be alright! For two years I thought my brother, my best friend, my everything, was dead! It was the worst two years of my life! I can't just pretend it's going to be fine and then find out that aunt Cass is probably dead! Just stop being so happy and optimistic when it's not going to end with sunshine and rainbows!"

"Hiro! Stop!" Tadashi growled, grabbing my shoulders and looking me in the eyes, "Wasabi is just trying to help!"

"I don't need help!" I pushed him away from me.

"Can't you just look on the bright side of things for once? Ever since aunt Cass disappeared, you've been about as happy as Fred hates comics!" By now, everyone was awake and watching the commotion, "Go to sleep, then wake up fresh tomorrow."

"Who said you could tell me what to do?" Then I ran off, as far as I possibly could before I got tired. I found a tree (because I literally bumped into it in the dark) and climbed up a few branches. There I sat for a few hours, trying not to cry, but failed. By the time I woke up after crying myself to sleep, the sun was just beginning to peep out on the horizon. I figured it was time to go back to the gang, so I climbed back down ever so carefully, as it was still rather dark.

But, I began to lose my grip and fell. I thought I was just going to fall to the ground below, but then I realised I wasn't on the ground. I was falling. Last night in the dark I didn't realise the tree was right on the edge of a cliff with a fifty metre fall.

Luckily, I grabbed a root that had grown out on the cliff. I didn't have the strength to pull myself up.

"Help!" I screamed, holding on for dear life.

I waited around half a second and my grip was loosening quickly.

"HELP ME!" I yelled one more time before I could hear Tadashi's voice.

"Hiro! Where are you!?" Tadashi called, looking for me like a stray dog looks for food.

"The cliff! Hurry!" I used all the strength I had left to hold on.

Then I saw Tadashi. He fell to his knees and held out his hand for me to take, and I did so without hesitation.

I was up on safe ground.

"Hiro! You're ok!" Tadashi hugged me tight.

Everyone else was "thank goodness he's alright" and "are you ok?" ing around me, but I didn't pay any attention. Tadashi's hug took me back to when mum and dad died and we had to move to live with aunt Cass. That was the last time he hugged me like he was going to lose me.

"I love you 'Dashi," I whispered, hugging him back tighter, "I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too," he whispered back, "I love you more."

"I love you most," we both said in unison.