Chapter Nine: Decisions

I released the accelerator and shifted into neutral, letting my car creep up the road to my house. The outside light was on, casting what would usually be a reassuring glow of safety over the front yard, tonight though the glow was guiding me to an uncertain encounter with my parents. They knew something had happened to me, but how much? I crossed my fingers hoping Will and Lara hadn’t told them everything.

 I parked in my usual spot just off the driveway. As I stepped out into the glaring glow I accidentally looked into the outside light and felt like a rabbit in the headlights of a truck.

I stepped quietly towards the front door avoiding rocks and twigs that my heels might snag on. On my tiptoes I stepped up to my front door. I reached into my pocket for my key and as I twisted it in the lock the door swung open.

“Sophie.” My mum’s arms locked me against her. My dad hovered in the background, arms crossed, but his expression more concerned than cross. Beyond Dad, I saw we had company at the dinner table. Will sat clutching a hot cup of something. The steam swirled around his nose. I took a deep breath and entered.

“Hey guys…Will.”

“Hey Soph.” He gave me an awkward smile.

Great, I thought.

“Sophie, Darling, come sit down and I’ll make you some tea.”

“Coffee, please.” I needed a pick me up.

“Okay.” Mum stared at me a moment and took my face in her hand. She touched my lips with one of her fingers and brushed my hair out of my eyes.

“You look… different, Dear. You must have had a bad night.”

I thought the changes were an improvement, maybe she didn’t think so. I trudged over to the dining table and sat down next to Will. He nudged me with his elbow.

“You okay?” he asked.

“Yeah.” I said not wanting to say anymore in front of Mum and Dad.

I glanced at Dad who sat directly across from me. His lips twitched and I knew he was repressing something and it wasn’t going to be good.

“Sophie, Will told us what’s been happening to you lately.” I glared at Will but he didn’t meet my gaze.

“We rang Doctor Livingstone tonight and he’s organised a series of tests for you in the morning.”

“What kind of tests?”

I narrowed my eyes at Will.

“Well, judging by Will’s explanation of your…er… symptoms, Doctor Livingstone said you may need several different types of tests.”

This was not news to me.

“And what symptoms are they?” I asked, accusingly.

Dad spoke then. “C’mon Sophie you know what’s going on with you. Will is being a good friend by telling us. We can help you this way.”

“I don’t need help. So a few strange things have been happening…”

Dad’s eyebrows dipped. “What? Hearing voices and talking to them. Blacking out and seeing weird things.”

 For some reason I felt ashamed. I stared at the table in front of me. “Sophie, even your face looks different. There’s something bad happening to you and we want it to stop.”

“So do I!” I yelled. My body swelled with my fury and I felt a strange throbbing in my arms and legs.  

Mum placed a cup of coffee beside me and quietly stepped away to Dad. She seemed shocked by my outburst.