Chapter Five: Secrets

“Hey you two,” Lara said playfully. She gave me a once over that caused her face to change slightly, she’d picked up on something. Normally she wouldn’t be so observant, but I figured I’d scared her like hell last night and now she was fixated on me.  

“Hey Goldy Locks,” Will teased, fake punching her shoulder. Hopefully they’d keep each other entertained while my thoughts and worries consumed me. No amount of mp3 music was going to keep me from dwelling on this. The idea that a concussion was causing these psychotic symptoms was no longer convincing to me. Alright, I may as well admit it, this was definitely not concussion. Something was happening to me. Something my intuition screamed at me wouldn’t be going away anytime soon. My world had become unpredictable, an enigma that I couldn’t understand.

My bag sat next to me on the seat, the edge of my notebook with the disgusting sketching on it protruded from between the flaps. I shoved the notebook deep into my bag bending the pages and zipped it closed. I looked around to see if anyone had noticed. The picture niggled at me tugging my attention away from my friends. Paranoia ensured that I checked and double checked that the bag was tightly zipped; no-one could know about this or I’d end up with my only friends being people who swatted at imaginary bugs. I felt detached, alone, my muscles ached and my skin felt as if it was sliding off my body. I placed my elbows on the table leaning my head into my hands; I contemplated napping but a question repeated in my head. ‘What was happening to me?

I tried to look normal over the rest of lunch.

“So the party is all organised.” Lara’s voice managed to pierce my distracted mind. I looked up at her and she bit into an apple.

“Thanks but do you think it’s a wise idea for me to have a party after yesterday?”

“Definitely! You need to loosen up. Look how tense you are.”

Will rolled his eyes purposely allowing Lara to see.

“What?! It’s true she’s turning into a stress head.” Lara crossed her arms and scowled at Will. I didn’t have the energy to argue.

“Oh c’mon, this is all about you.” Will said chuckling at her “It’s an excuse to invite Lukey boy around so you two can get it oooon.”

“It’s Sophie’s twenty-first birthday, and all you can focus on is Luke and I making out – that’s sick.”

Will pursed his lips and his unkempt eyebrows pressed together cringing. 

“Thanks for the imagery.”

“No worries.”

Despite being mildly depressed, their fighting seemed to cheer me up and I suppressed a smile. There squabbling was a comforting reminder that for them life was still normal.

Lara’s folded arms moved to her hips. “You better come!” directing her glare at Will. He had shown as much as enthusiasm as I had about tomorrow’s party, although a part of me suspected this was for different reasons.

 “I will…” He trailed off in an unconvincing manner. The only reason Will would come was for me, he was always so loyal and supportive, and I admired that about him.

“Soph, are we still studying tomorrow?” he asked including me in an unsubtle attempt to change the subject. I obliged him very willingly.

“Yep, I have to work though, in the morning. I’ll pick you up after twelve okay?”

“Awesome! Hey… what are doing tonight?” Will smiled.

“Why?” Lara murmured while her teeth were embedded in her apple.