Chapter 17

Hey guys. Thank you for waiting patiently. I am sorry that it took me so long to up date. I just hope that y'all enjoy the chapter. Let me know what you think. :D 

--------------------------------------------------------

Jenny's POV

It wasn't long after the family ate that they retired to their rooms. I knew that Titus had gone to mine and was waiting on me. Once I was sure that the royal family was safe, I slowly made my way to my room. I was tired because I had forgotten how much energy it required to remain invisible. It had been years since I last tried it.

I reach my room and I could hear Titus pacing angrily inside. Plastering a smile that I didn't feel on my face, I open the door and walk in. Instantly, he stops and rushes over to me. His arms wrap around me and I knew that he was trying to calm his wolf. I hated the fact that he had been worried about me, but I was a grown femme. I knew how to take care of myself.

We stood there for several minutes and finally, he stepped away. His wolf was calm, but he on the other hand, was still upset. "Where have you been Jenny? I looked everywhere for you. Do you know how worried I was that something could be happening to you?" He asked, his voice growing louder with each word. I just crossed my arms and looked at him. –I was in the house.

"Doing what?"

-Something that I can't tell you right now Titus. Trust me when I say that you'll understand when it's over. You'll understand when everyone is safe. He looked at me confused. A deep sigh leaves me. I wanted to tell him everything, but could I trust him? I knew he was my mate, but until I figured out who was planning on killing King Winters and his family, I couldn't trust anyone. So, I threw a low punch.

-I think we need some space. His face dropped and my heart broke. My wolf whimpered, knowing that we had hurt him deeply. "Why, Jenny? What happened? We can talk this out. Tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it. I swear." It pained me to hear Titus beg. My heart felt like solid rock. But I couldn't cave. I had to protect our king. I had to protect him. My body started to shake with silent sobs as I forced myself to continue.

-I need time to think about 'us', Titus. Please, just give me time. Titus took a step towards me and I had to make myself step back. "Whatever I've done, I'm sorry Jenny." The sadness in his voice tore at my heart and I cried harder. The king comes first. The king comes first. I kept telling myself over and over. I had to protect the king.

Surely, once this was over with, Titus would understand. Surely he would see that it was my duty to protect my king at all costs. The sound of a door softly shutting pulled me out of my mind, and I noticed that my mate was gone. With a heavy heart, I laid down on the floor.

That night, I did not sleep. I eliminated almost two hundred wolves, but there were many more left to check. When the sun broke through my window, I felt like death. My head ached from pushing energy into keeping my thoughts hidden as I entered the minds of others. Slowly I stood up and quickly headed to the kitchen. Grabbing me a small breakfast, I eat fast and hurry up the stairs. I would spend all day with the King, just hidden from sight.

By the time he emerged from his room, I had shifted through ten more wolves. They had been cleared as well. I knew that when he learned that someone from his pack betrayed him, it would be a painful blow. An alpha wolf lived to protect his pack and his family. They relied on him for safety, as he relied on them for comfort.

We headed back down to his office. Slipping back to the dining room, I sniff the food. It too was clear. Making him a plate, I hurry back to his office and knock. "Enter." He called out and I opened the door. Alpha, I brought you some breakfast. He looked up surprised, but smiled when he saw me. "Thank you Jenny, but you didn't have to."