Chapter 2

The two guys still haven't left, but I couldn't stay any longer. I was out of food and I needed to let my wolf out. Picking my bag up, I quietly slip through the tunnel and slowly peep from the entrance.

They were close by, but I was sure that I was well hidden. Shifting into my midnight black wolf, I grab my bag and begin to trot northward. "There she is John!" Joel shouts and I break out into a wide open run.

I could hear them chasing me, but I knew that I was faster. It didn't take me long to lose them and my wolf smiled as we slowed down. As well as I could remember, which wasn't that well at all, I should be about two days run from the edge of the King's land.

About five hours in, I stumbled across a small deer herd. Letting my wolf take control, we quickly bring a small buck down. We begin to eat our dinner. After we got our fill, I bury the leftover and again started on the way.

I slept when I grew tired, but I was used to covering many miles in one day. By the time that night fell, I felt the familiar burn in my muscles and loved it. I found a small cave and making sure it was clear, I crawled in and feel asleep.

I was awake before the sun came up. Stretching, I take my bag and set out at a fast trot. It was mid-afternoon when I realized that I was getting close to my destination. I shift quickly and slip some clothes on. Pulling the box out of my small bag, I unlock it and slip the ring on my left hand.

I start walking keeping all my senses wide open. I could smell the borders two miles before I actually found it. Taking a deep breath, I step over it and followed the newest scent trails. I was maybe half a mile inside the King's land when I heard them coming.

Coming to a stop beside a huge oak tree, I make sure that my back was up against it. Several huge tan and brown wolves leap out in front of me, growling and snarling at me. I just roll my eyes and wait for them to shift.

"What are you doing on the King's land rouge?" One asked. I look at him and I could feel the power of a Beta just rolling off of him. I life my hand and show him the ring. Once he realized what was on it, his face pales.

"Come with me." He says as the others disappear. "Where did you get that ring?" He asked as he led me through the woods. My eyes could make out the almost invisible trail that he was following. I just shake my head at him and he picks up his pace.

When we came into view of the castle, I felt my jaw drop. It was breathtaking. It reminded me of a place where a princess might live in a fairytale story that my mother used to read to me.

"The King's this way." I follow him into the house and down one of the many halls. Suddenly a hand grabs my shoulder and I react without thinking. I grab the hand, spin around and flipped the person. I watch as they land on the floor hard.

The man starts moaning and I get ready for a fight. It seemed like a shame to fight in this house where something might get broken, but if he was asking for it, I'd deliver. "Joel, what the devil?!"

"Beta. This is the wolf that John and I saw at the Dark Moon's territory." The Beta looked at me and I just shrugged. "Come on rouge. The King's waiting on us." Joel glares at me and I snarl at him. He jumps out of my way and I try my best to hide my smile.

The Beta knocked on a door and I hear a soft "Come in" before he opened it and motioned for me to enter. I step into the office and lower my eyes as respect. I may have spent most of my life alone from packs and the rules, but I remembered enough to know that alpha, especially the King, did not like when someone disrespected them.

The sound of a deep, rolling chuckle brought my eyes up. "Well, well, if it isn't little Jenny Rose." The King stood up and walked towards me. "I remember you when you were just a little pup. I thought you were killed with the rest of your pack."

I shake my head no and he motions for me to take a seat. He looks at his Beta who quickly leaves us alone. "Where have you been for the past twelve years Jenny?" I looked at him shocked. I didn't realize it had been so long since that day. I started signing.

-After everyone was killed, I called the Council like we were taught and I ran. My dad instructed me what to do when he and mom died, and I followed his orders. I've been living with a pack of wild wolves...

"Rouges?" He asked but I shake my head no. "Oh, the animals then." I smile shyly at him. "Do you remember what happened Jenny?"

-I remember as if it happened yesterday Sire. We were attacked by hunters. How they found us I have no clue, but I do know that it was hunters. He stands and walks towards me.

"Why don't we get you settled and then tomorrow when a few of the Council members arrive, we'll go over everything. You're the last of a very special line of wolves Jenny. And it would be an honor if you joined my pack." I look at him and into his eyes. All I saw was honesty.

-I'll think about it. I sign and he smiles. "That's all I can ask. Now, let's get you a room." I follow him out of the office and into a new chapter of my life.