Eight

Chapter Eight

The secret trail led to a courtyard of sorts, the small center of our town, surrounded by a three-sided brick wall that held our homes. Each wooden door either led directly to a home, like mine, or to a passage that led to other homes. Magic kept it from looking or feeling crowded. Where the fourth wall should have been there were actually wide, plain, stone steps that led up to the Mother's simple yet pretty home, in the woods. The magnificent trees appeared to touch the sky, and the beautiful grass sprawled lazily over and around the surrounding terrain like water seeps into hidden crevices.

Everything had been decorated for the evening. More magical lights floated in the air, flowers of every variety were placed randomly throughout the courtyard. The grand table had been placed in the center of the yard in preparation for the feast. After the eating was done, it would be removed to make room for dancing.

"I never want to forget this, it's so beautiful." Emilee sighed in wonder.

Just then, a group of both Fae and humans came into the enclosure, laughing and sipping wine. Emilee looked at me, questioningly.

"See how the air shimmers more around some of them? Those are Fae, The Glen recognizes them. It's kind of a magical 'welcome home' so to speak." I laughed as Emilee studied the group intently.

"What about the humans? Do they know where they are?"

"They've been enchanted so they won't remember anything that happens tonight. They probably don't even realize what's going on," I explained.

"What a shame," she said, as her gaze returned to them.

I smiled at her, reminding myself to control my displays of real affection—any sign of actual love between species would get us in trouble—and took her hand again, leading her to the table. The other Fae began to bring their guests over as well, while the food began to appear before us.

"Oh, good," Emilee giggled. "I was worried that you were going to eat all of us," she teased.

"Not for dinner. Dessert," I teased in return. "We always save the sweetest for last."

"I do believe that is the corniest thing I've ever heard you say!" She laughed loudly, causing many heads to turn our direction, and she blushed furiously while I laughed at her expense.

When everyone was seated, our attention was turned to the stone staircase as the Mother cleared her throat.

"Oh my goodness!" Emilee breathed. "She's beautiful! And look at her wings!" She spent a moment examining the light blue dress Mother was wearing and looking at her pointy ears, as well as the pale-pink, silky wings. "Wait, why is she not human?"

"Mother's forfeit their right to become human. They serve as a constant authority figure, no matter what," I whispered.

"Welcome, my children and guests!" Mother exclaimed, spreading her arms wide in greeting.

"Tonight we dine, dance, and love. Tomorrow is a new day, one whose plans we can never foretell. Let us enjoy ourselves as we celebrate the coming of Midsummer's Day!" Her speech was followed by loud cheers and raising of glasses as she came down the steps and sat at the head of the table. As soon as she finished her first bite of the meal, the rest of us began ours.

Emilee and I were silent, listening to the conversations around us, only needing each other's smiles as we ate. Every now and then, when I couldn't keep my emotions in check any longer, I would reach over and grab her hand, stroking it gently with my thumb. I could tell she was thoroughly enjoying herself, her eyes wide with excitement as she took everything in.