Five

Chapter Five

Emilee looked at me curiously. "What's your idea? You know I trust you already." She smiled sweetly, reaching up to brush a strand of hair from my face. Her touch caused me to pause as I enjoyed the shivers she gave me. My eagerness to put my new idea into motion brought me back to the conversation quickly, though.

"It would involve me controlling your dream." I held my breath as her eyes widened with surprise. Please, trust me enough!

"Why would you want to do that?"

"I'll explain after. If you'll let me do it, that is."

She gazed at me evenly, studying my face. She seemed to be contemplating my proposal very seriously. I knew she would love what I had in mind, mostly because I loved it. I hoped she would agree to let me take control. It would be hard for her to relinquish the power though, and I knew she would guard herself carefully. There was just something about her that said she needed that dominion. After a few moments, she answered.

"I don't know how to let you take control. Is there a certain way to do it?" Her voice sounded a little shaky. I knew she had just given up something huge for me, and I wanted to show her my thanks by making it worth her while. My heart hummed, as an idiotic grin overtook my face.

"I'm not sure. I tried to control your dream the first night we met but you stopped me somehow. Do you remember doing anything to fight me?" She gave me a look that was half scolding, half curious. I grimaced a little when I realized what I had revealed to her, but I was too excited to care.

"No, I don't remember doing anything different from what I always do."

This was becoming harder than I thought it would be. I ran my hands through my hair and pursed my lips. "Well," I started, "How about we just try it and see if it works? Maybe if you're aware you're going to give up control, I'll be able to take over easier."

Emilee nodded and smiled, but I didn't miss the look of fear that danced through her eyes.

"Hey," I said softly, hugging her tighter and placing a kiss on her forehead. "Don't be scared. I promise I'm not going to let anything happen to you." I smiled, moving my hands to tangle my fingers in her hair. "I love you. You'll like this idea." She nodded quickly, her face hidden in my shoulder, strengthening her grip on me.

"Go ahead and try then." Her voice was firm but muffled by my shirt.

"Close your eyes," I whispered into her ear. I tightened my grip as well, and began to remember one of my own memories. Nothing changed. Frustrated, I tried to reach out to the outer parts of Emilee's mind, feeling for a break somewhere. Her defenses were like iron and just as I was about to give up and think of another way to take control, I found the tiniest of cracks in her self control.

Gently, I pushed at the weak spot until I made my way completely through it. I was hit by a wall of emotions I never realized she'd been holding from me. I could feel her timid fear at what was happening, the pain she still felt over the loss of her mother—and love. Suddenly, I realized the love was for me. It was overwhelming, strong, and true. I felt my own heart warm in the revelation that she loved me.

Curious, I opened my own mind a little and released some of my own emotions, mostly my love for her. She softly gasped as she felt what I did, and her grip became even tighter as the foreign feelings invaded her. The wave of shock eventually subsided and all we were left with was love. It felt wonderful, our feelings plainly displayed.

"Are you ready?" I asked, my excitement finally overtaking my feelings.

"That wasn't it?" She giggled as my feelings pushed against hers.