Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Aithne

The sound of birds twittering in their nests and the warm rays of the sun stirred me from restless sleep. In my dreams, I danced and frolicked with Hadrian, enjoying tender moments that caused my heart to race and my breath to hitch. All the while, William watched from the shadows—a look of hunger and longing on his face. The images confused me and left me with an unsettled feeling in the base of my stomach.

I'd been disappointed at not seeing Hadrian the day before. I'd searched and spent many hours in hopeful anticipation of him suddenly appearing to whisk me away. But as the day had given way to night and I was still alone, my heart hurt.

Meeting with William had been an unexpected treat. I'd missed the closeness we'd shared growing up, and I smiled over how easy it was to be with him—to talk, smile, and laugh. Once upon a time I'd fancied he and I were secret lovers and that we'd meet under the moon to exchanged kisses. I'd often hoped one day we would marry and raise a family together, but then things changed—he focused his attentions on his apprenticeship—and time got away from us. Even now, when I saw him talking with Fiona and the way she would casually touch him, a spark of jealousy would kindle. It was something that would never be between us, and I'd resigned myself to the thought.

Thinking of what couldn't be, Hadrian's face appeared in my mind. The chance of us having any kind of future together, of having more than whatever it was between us, was impossible. In all my childhood fantasies, I'd assumed there could be a happily-ever-after. But now grown, I knew the realities of it. With no other prospects, I knew it was a risk giving my heart to him, but how could I not? He was everything I'd ever dreamed of and more. The memories would be enough to warm me as the years passed.

Quickly dressing, I entered the kitchen to find my father sitting at the table, slowly eating.

"Morning, daughter, will you break your fast with me?" Donned still in his robe, he hadn't yet tamed his wily hair, giving him an endearing appearance.

I nodded and tore a piece from the loaf of bread I'd purchased the day before, also adding some cheese and pear slices to my plate. "Did you sleep well?" I asked as I sat across from him. I poured myself a small cup of mead, taking a sip before starting on my meal.

"Like a lamb." He smiled, as he helped himself to honey that he smeared over his bread slice. "What kind of mischief do you have planned for today?"

"I thought I'd see where my mood takes me, Papa. Let adventure find me." It was the same answer I'd given him for years, and it caused him to chuckle. He had no doubt if I put my mind to it, I could find trouble. It was just as predictable now, at eighteen, as it was when I was a child.

Snatching up the remainder of my bread, I stood and removed my dishes to the basin. "Maybe I should get started then," I smiled, excitement beginning to brew. A feeling deep within me whispered I'd be seeing Hadrian today. I kissed the top of my father's head and squeezed his shoulder gingerly. "Make sure you keep out of trouble too."

"Oh, my days of tomfoolery are long behind me, I assure you. I'm looking forward to some light reading and perhaps a nap in the afternoon," he answered, patting his robe carefully. "If I could only find my glasses, that is. Blasted things are never where I expect them."

I shook my head, and tapped the top of it. Sheepishly, he reached up and plucked the glasses propped up on his brow, and he waved his hand to tell me to leave. My father may have a great mind for business, but sometimes he could be awfully forgetful.

"Love you," I called out. The weather was perfect, without any clouds in the sky—I couldn't imagine there being rain—so I left my shawl behind.