Chapter Four

Monica.

I almost couldn't believe my eyes at the sight of him. To see him so healthy-looking brought tears to my eyes. When he called asking for my help I felt obligated to. I knew he didn't have any family left, and the only person he had was me.

"So... How's everything? I might as well ask you now since you won't have to write back."

"Good, everything is fine. I got married 4 years ago and I work in an office now."

"You deserve it... A better life."

"... I'm sorry this is just weird, I feel like you came back from the dead and all of this is a lot to take in."

"It's alright K, I understand. I don't know what I'd do if I were you and the last thing I want to be is a burden to-"

"No, never. I want to help you."

He grabbed my hand that rested in between us and smiled. "Where are you taking me?"

"Home."

He chortled to himself after I said the word home. "We just left my home." He sighed denoting that the jail was home.

"That place isn't your home Lexis."

"Then where is it? And don't say with you because you're married and you have a life that I don't want to ruin."

I groaned before parting my lips to speak. "I'm going to help you, and I don't care what you or anybody else have to say about it. You took care of me, so now I'll take care of you." He looked at me for a few seconds and turned to look out the car window.

I was nervous but happy to see him at the same time. I don't know what I'm going to tell Aubree or G when I get home but I'm sure I'll think of something. Aubree doesn't even know that G isn't her real father, and Jynx still doesn't even know about her. "Lexis... I need to tell you something." He turned to me with his full attention waiting for me to go on.

"Remember what we did before, you know, that night?"

"Yeah I do..." Nodding his head, I saw a smile on his face while he reminisced. "Her name is Aubree Maritza Taurez."

"What?" The confusion on his face was clear as day and I wasn't prepared. Being as though he was supposed to be dead I didn't know I'd ever be saying this. "I was pregnant, just like you wanted. We have a baby girl, her name is Aubree Maritza Taurez. She was born October 28th. She looks just like you and it's funny because she never met you but you both act so much alike. " I could feel my eyes start to water and I was getting chocked up.

"She has the same birthday as me, and you named her after my mom... Maritza." He leered at me with a spark in his eyes. "There's something else you should know Lexis."

"Okay."

"Uh... She thinks my husband, G, is her dad. I'm sorry I thought you were dead and I thought I was doing the right thing-"

"It's fine Karina, I know you were probably doing what you thought was best at the time. She needed a father figure to grow up, and every child should have that. I'm thankful to you that you could give it to her."

I squeezed his hand tighter and a tear slid down my face. I had so many emotions all at once and I wasn't sure if it was tears of joy, hurt, confusion, scared... hell, I don't know.

"Why are we here?" He asked scoping out the scene. "Look." I pointed toward where Aubree was standing with her teacher. "Mommy!" She yelled opening the door to my car. "Hi baby, how was school?"

"I was sad because Kalup got in trouble and I wanted to sit next to him so I could paint my puppy." She crossed her arms over her chest dramatically pouting. "It's okay, maybe you'll see Kalup tomorrow."