Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Kiara

Geraint's excitement echoes across my mind, too eager for comfort. He has heard Carly's words through me. We both know what this boy is now but only Geraint knows what he's capable of and his reaction to this knowledge unnerves me. I ignore him, striding over to where Zak cowers in the thick smoke of the side alley.

"Give him to me," I say, reaching out encouragingly, "he won't do anything to me, I promise."

Zak says nothing, emotion battling across his face.

The boy with the fire laughs spitefully. "Look at him," he says, "he actually wants to do it."

Carly turns, looking up at me. She seems utterly unintimidated by my presence and it strikes me, suddenly, that she considers us equals on opposing sides, not enemies.

"Zak can't just hand him over," she says. "He has to protect him, it's not a choice. When Luke's dead," she says, moving to address her brother again, "you'll be free."

"No one's dying," I reiterate firmly.

"I want you to have him," Zak says, almost pleading with me, "but I can't."

Kiara. It's Geraint again, using my full name for emphasis. Whatever you do, don't let anything happen to that boy. He sounds firm, commanding, and I can feel the echoes of his presence drawing closer by the second. He is already a lot nearer than he was a few minutes ago.

"I won't," I sigh out loud, trusting that the thought behind the words will make it to him. It's frustrating that he even feels the need to say anything.

Kia, he says, that child could be the difference between life and death for us.

Good people don't use children in their battles, Geraint.

At my side, Carly takes a step forwards, eyes flashing with vindictive glee, and I throw out an arm to hold her back.

"Give me a second!" I snap and there's something in my tone of voice that she reacts to instinctively. She freezes, eyes glaring over my arm at the two boys before us. These are Null's children, they're used to doing as they're told.

Don't think about it like that, Geraint continues, think about it as having the chance to save everyone.

You think we have the chance to save everyone? A day ago, you just wanted to wait for death.

This changes things, he replies.

Geraint, I...

You put that mask on your face, girl, that means you have to make the tough decisions.

Yes, and I'm making them. We do not use children to fight the Viper.

Just keep the boy safe, Kia.

Geraint disappears as seamlessly as he arrived, leaving the space in my head to Drake once again.

I'm terrified that if I move, my temporary truce with Carly will break and chaos will ensue. Behind us the sparks drift by in flurries. Zak's brothers and sisters walk closer. It's threatening, sure enough, but Drake can see them tossing hurried glances over their shoulders, afraid of the buildings behind us. It's only a matter of time before every brick comes falling down and while I have always been immune to the harsh clasp of magic, there is nothing to save me from tumbling masonry.