Chapter Eleven

I awoke the next morning with a smile upon my face and a jump in my step.  Even though it's Monday and classes are resuming from the pause caused by the weekend, I feel no reason to complain.  A smile is plastered on my face just at the thought of seeing Harry again.  Just thinking of his smile, hearing his voice replay in my head like a melodious tune, brought butterflies to my stomach.

   Ever since I had gotten back last night, Miranda has constantly been drilling me with questions.  "Did he sing for you?  Did you guys hold hands?  Did he kiss you?  You guys better not be getting saucy without telling me!"  I cut her off quickly and glare at her coldly. 

   "Miranda, I just met the guy two days ago!  Yeah, he's cute, but I only like him as a friend, nothing more."  I  bite my tongue and pray to God that she doesn't see through my lie.  She just narrows her eyes at me and places her hands on her hips.  Something is telling me that she doesn't believe me.   

    "Whatever you say, Mariah."  She says with a knowing tone laced into her tone.  I roll my eyes and we soon leave for classes.   

*******************************

   The day seemed to go on and on as I sat and waited for the clock to hit three o'clock.  I impatiently tapped my pencil on my desk, which earned quite a few glares from my fellow students.  I shrink back into my desk in embarrassment and the bell suddenly rings, saving me from any more boring lectures for the day.  

   After I gather all of my things, I head back to our apartment and meet up with Miranda unexpectedly on the way.  "Miranda, what're you doing here?"  I ask her in the middle of a random hallway.  

   "Ugh, Mr. Barron overloaded on the science and it's going to take all night to do, so I'm going to have to take a rain check on our meeting with Harry today."  I wish I could say I was disappointed but  I'd be lying if I did.  Miranda just chuckles at my expression and shoos me away.  So much for being loved.  

   I burst into my apartment and set down my things, hurrying to get ready to meet Harry.  

   I switch out of the sweats and sweatshirt I had been wearing for school and squeeze into some jeans and a nicer shirt.  For some reason, I wanted to impress Harry...And I didn't like it.  But I can't really do anything to change it though, because it would hurt too much to do anything about it.  

   I apply some light make up and then I'm practically running out of the door, and out to my car.  I quickly start the old thing and before I know it, I'm jumbling down the street and on my way to Peterson's cafe.  I stop in front of the familiar building and slam the door of the truck, locking it as I head into the small restaurant.  The familiar sound of the bell ringing overhead grabs the attention of a brunette boy sitting at the counter.  He turns around and sends me a sincere smile, making his dimples show.  My heartbeat races and butterflies, no, more like bats fly around in my stomach. 

   I take a deep breath and approach Harry, hoping that I can keep it cool and collected.  He gets off of the bar stool and waits for me by the worn counter.  As soon as I'm in arms' length, he wraps me in a hug and I tense up, surprised by his unexpected gesture.  But as we sit there hugging, I can't help but notice how right this feels...Like this is meant to happen.  As soon as the thought occurs though, I push it away into the dark recesses of my mind and I pull away from Harry, slightly hesitant.  He looks confused as to why I pulled away, but says nothing about it and leads me to our booth. 

   I sit on the one side and he on the other.  We sit there in silence for a few moments before I excuse myself and head towards the kitchen.  Us waitresses aren't really supposed to go back there but I really need to take a breather and that's the one place that calms me.  I think it's just because everyone else is too preoccupied with their own business to care about mine, and in some odd way, that comforts me.  I push open the large swinging door and make my way towards the back of the kitchen.  I take a large crate and set it on its top, sitting on the top of it's wooden base. 

   I cross my legs and peer at the wall thoughtfully.  I have two options, I could ignore him and possibly break my heart or I could just go along with the flow and see where we end up.  Let's look at the pros and cons of both situations.  If I ignore him, then we won't be close so in the end, if something bad happens, I won't have to cry about it and have my heart broken again.  That's a pro but...I don't think I could live without him in my life, that's how much he means to me already. If I go along with the flow though, we might get close...Too close, and maybe, just maybe, we might actually make it together.  What if I choose the first option and I miss out on a beautiful thing, on what could be?  I don't want to spend the rest of my life saying what if?  I want to live life to the fullest and if that means getting my heart broken by a world famous pop star, then so be it. 

   A vibration in my pocket snaps me out of my thoughts and I reach for my phone.  I pull it out and unlock it, going straight to my messages.  It seems I have two: one from Harry and another from...James. 

   I open the one from James, knowing that saving it for last won't save me from any pain.  At least I will have Harry's to look forward to.  I take an unstable breath and open the message, hot tears threatening to spill over. 

   From: Unknown number

   Hey Mariah :) How have u been?  Just wanted to say that I love you and I want u back.  The thing with Molly was a mistake and we r over and done with now.  Come back, love you. 

    Anger, white hot and burning rages through me and the tears fall down freely.  How could he do this?  Saying he wants me back even though we both know the same mistakes are going to happen again.  In a fit of anger, I slam my fist against the wall repeatedly until the physical pain from my exterior wound masks the pain from my interior one. 

   I whimper and cradle my hand against my body, regretting the action.  I ignore the pain and try to read Harry's message through the tears. 

   From: Harry :)

   Are you okay, Mariah?  Did I do something wrong? I can leave if you want me to :(

   I get off of the crate and rush out to meet Harry, just as he's exiting the door. 

   "Harry, wait!"  I call out to him, the cold London wind making my cheeks even more colored and flushed then they already are.   

   He turns around and gawks at my tears.  "Mariah, what happened to you?  Did I do something wrong?  If it's about the hug, I'm sorry if you weren't ready."  I put my hand over his mouth to quiet him and wait until he stops mumbling under my palm to talk again. 

   "No, you didn't do anything wrong...we need to talk."  He looks at me curiously and I shrug it off, not wanting to discuss anything until later.  "Did you drive here?"  I ask him.

   He shakes his head no and I lead him to my car, slightly embarrassed that he has to see it.  I unlock the drivers' side door and invite him in.  He pulls door open with a loud creaking noise and I cringe.  He settles himself into seat and buckles himself in.  I turn to look at him seriously with my hands on the wheel and he looks back with a smirk upon his face and a twinkle in his eyes. 

   "Do you know anywhere where we can talk privately?"  He just nods and I start the loud engine.  We're soon on our way and he points me to the secret destination.  After a few minutes, we arrive at a park and I park the car, desperately praying that I can trust Harry with this.