Chapter One

"Bye, Lissa!"  I called out to my fellow coworker, Lissa Jackson.  "You going to lock up tonight?" I called back to her. 

   She nods, gives me a friendly wave, and says cheerfully, "Yes, I will lock up.  It's a special day, go be with James, I'm sure he has something planned for you!"  She says the last part with a wink and I giggle.  She's talking about the fact that it's our three year anniversary and I couldn't be happier.  We had started dating at the beginning of seventh grade, after he had "changed."  I had always thought he was cute, but when I saw him for the first time, walking the halls of J.F.Kennedy high, I started seeing him as a whole lot more than a little brother.  We had been best friends since before we could walk, so I had always known him. 

   I love his cute blond hair that he would run a hand through whenever he was nervous, I loved his sea blue eyes that warmed me up like the sun, and the thing I loved the most?  I loved that he understood me so well and would listen to my problems, giving me the best hugs afterward.  I grin like an idiot, knowing that in only a few more short hours, I would be seeing him and his thousand watt smile that would make any girl fall to her knees. 

   I briskly walk to my house, looking at the steadily sinking sun on the horizon, the reds and oranges blending together like a beautiful painting, waiting to be admired by many.  I feel a vibration in my pocket and take out my phone, checking to see who was messaging me.  I smile when I see that it's James. 

    From: James

    Hey babe :) I'll be picking you up at 7 tonight. How does that sound?  I've got a surprise for you <3

    I reply with a quick text, saying that it's fine and I check the time.  It's already 5:30, which means I only have an hour and a half to make myself look presentable for James.  I start running to my house which is down the block, texting my friend Molly to come and help me get ready.  She only lives across the street, so as I'm running up my short driveway, she's standing on my front porch with her arms crossed. 

   "About time!"  She gives me a teasing look and I roll my eyes at her.  "Hurry and shower, I'll pick out your outfit."  She shoos me away with her perfectly manicured nails and I run to the main bathroom and start the shower.  Within minutes, I'm out of the shower and already drying my hair.  I wrap the plush towel around my body and head upstairs to see what Molly has picked out for me.  Knowing Molly, she's probably picked out something fabulous. 

    I open the door and see a glimpse of clothing on the bed before two hands clamp down on my eyes, making it impossible to see.  "No, no, no!  No peeking at your outfit!  You will have to wait for the finished product to see anything."

    I let out a big groan and get ready to reply with a snarky comment, but I let it go.  I let out a sigh of defeat and stay silent.  Another thing Molly is good at other than fashion, is winning arguments.  I can practically feel her smirking through my closed eyes.  She leads me somewhere and sits me down on a chair.  She lets go of my eyes, but I don't open them, knowing she will be making me pretty with some nice make up.    

   I feel some a light pressure on my eyelids and when that's done, Molly takes some foundation and rubs it over my face.  The combination of powder and the scraggly brush bristles are enough to make me scrunch up my nose and let out a giant sneeze.  I hear some loud laughing and I open my eyes to see that instead of making me beautiful, Molly's is holding some eyeliner in her hand and laughing her head off. 

   I let out a huff and say angrily, "Molly, this isn't a comedy club.  I seriously need your help, this night is special and we need to treat it like such.  So please stop laughing your ass off and come help me look beautiful."