Chapter Ten

"Mariah?"  His surprise is evident through his tone.  

   "Yeah, who else?"  I ask teasingly.  

    I hear him chuckle and the butterflies are back in my stomach, acting as though they'd never left.  I laugh uncomfortably and try to grasp the words I've been meaning to say.  "So, Harry?"

   "Yeah?"  He asks me, a little suspiciously.

   "Do you wanna hang out tomorrow?" I blurt out, covering my mouth with my hand.  

   "Oh yeah, sure.  Just tell me where and what time, I'll be there."  He tells me happily.

   I smile and lose myself in my giddiness.  I'm so wrapped up in my happiness that I almost forget to answer him.  "Oh uh, how about we meet at Peterson's cafe?  I work there so you can meet me when my shift ends at three."  

   "Okay, I'll see you there."  I hear some male voices in the background and some laughing.  Harry sighs then tells me,"I would love to talk to you some more, Mariah, but I'm kind of busy at the moment.  I can't wait for tomorrow."  

   I feel a rush of disappointment but I try to mask it.  "Oh okay, I'll see you tomorrow then."  I hear the dial tone and I put my phone back in my pocket, suddenly feeling the full force of my drowsiness.  It turns out, being chased by a crazy man and meeting a handsome guy all in the same night can really take a lot out of you.  

   I lazily change into my pajamas and turn off all of the lights, laying down in bed, wishing it would be tomorrow already.  

   *************************

   "Mariah, wake up!"  I wake with a start at the sound of my name being yelled, right into my ear.  I someone chuckle and I groggily rub my eyes.  

   "Miranda, what the heck."  I tell her, my morning breath stinking up the air around me.  I cringe and rush to the bathroom, rapidly brushing my teeth to get rid of the horrid smell.  That is the one thing I hate the most, morning breath, gross!  

   As soon as I'm done, I make my way into my bedroom, squinting at the light that's filtering through my window.  I check my alarm clock and see it's only 5:00 in the morning!  Who would wake me up this early, I'm not a morning person at all.  I narrow my eyes and turn to the guilty party of one.  

   "Miranda," I start out calmly, "Why in the hell did you wake me up this early?!"  She jumps a little at my outburst but I cross my arms over my chest, expectantly.  She keeps quiet so I start tapping my foot and she looks down.  "Well, do you have an answer?  You of all people should know that I'm not a morning person."

   "Sorry, Mariah, I just really need to talk to you."  It's then that I realize her voice is thick and hoarse and she has dark circles under her eyes.  

   I snap out of my morning moodiness and run to her, wrapping my arms around her strongly and protectively.  "Miranda, what happened?"  I ask her, suddenly worried.  

   "Oh it's nothing." She tells me, sniffling.  

   "Miranda, don't lie to me."  I reprimand her.

   "Sorry, it's just that the date last night was a total disaster!  The guy was a total dumb jerk who deserves to be kicked in his family jewels."  I try to calm her down and she starts to hiccup.  

   "What did he do, honey?"  I ask her, feeling anger build inside of me.  I was protective of Miranda, she was like the sister I never had and if anyone hurt her, I would get them.  

    "Okay, so in the beginning, he was so nice and sweet and he was focusing on me and all that.  We were just talking you know, about life, and all of a sudden, he's being a rude and inconsiderate jerk!  It's like someone just flipped a switch, one minute he's nice and sweet.  The next, he's staring at other woman and flirting with the waitress.  And she wasn't even that pretty!"  She takes a break to hiccup and regain her composure.  "Whatever, I wasn't even that into him anyways."