Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“Is this a..theme park?!” cries Eli seeing ‘Adventure Land’ written across a board in large letters over the entrance gates.
“Yeah, I mean, it’s not like one of the modern ones. It’s been around for a few years but it’s still cool and-”
“Awesome!” grins Eli.
“What?” asks Ivy shocked. She’d thought he’d hate it. Thus the reason she’d brought him to the old place. She’d suspected him to be one of those types to like expensive restaurants and suave activities like ballroom dancing or something. Not old amusement parks.
“I said it looks awesome! I can’t believe I didn’t even know about this place,” awes Eli, “come let’s go!”

Ivy let’s herself get half-dragged to the entrance booth, where a mid-forties man sat gazing out bored. 
“Ivy?! Is that you?” he gasps sitting upright to attention.
“Hey Keith. How you doing? How’s Mary and the kids?” she greets warmly.
“Yeah, they’re good. Billy’s 6 now. The kid had such a growth spurt we had to get him a whole new wardrobe. And Mary’s fine. You know, we’re both good. How about you? Haven’t seen you in a while; I thought you were in college. How’s your ma?”
“I’m okay and college...wasn’t for me. Mom’s...okay as well,” sighs Ivy, guilt seeping through her at her lies but she’s not just going to announce her problems to everyone. They just don’t need to know; besides what can they do?
“Good, good...So you on a date?” he grins, his eyes flickering to the man beside Ivy, who’s eyes were fixed on the scenery behind the booth.
“Yeah, you could say that,” mumbles Ivy.

"Well anyway, you kids have fun," calls Keith causing a grimace from Ivy. 

She bids him goodbye and starts walking only to spin around as she notices she's minus one person. 

"Hey! Are you going to just stand there all day gawking?!" rhetorically cries Ivy to the still awestruck Eli. 

He grins at her and jogs up to her. Before she can react he's wrapped an arm around her tiny waist, propelling her foot off the ground.

"Eli!" she squeals her hands clutching to his forearm.

Eli just laughs and stops the momentum. He pouts when he notices her disapproving look. 

"Oh come on! Lighten up, we're here to have fun!" protests Eli making Ivy just shake her head.

They start wandering down the rows of stalls nearer to the rides section. 

"So how come we didn't need to pay?" enquires Eli.

"Oh, it's a long story," responds Ivy distractedly. 

"And we've got all day, literally," argues back Eli.

"Fine," sighs Ivy, "So the guy who owns this place is called-Derek. His step-sister-Ellie is my best friend. When she was 16 she fell pregnant and her parents weren't all that supportive. So they kicked her out. Rather than have her going into foster care, she lived with mom and me. Derek couldn't take her in because he was just getting by himself as it was and couldn't look after his sister too. Anyway, he was so grateful he gave mom and I free passes," explains Ivy as they near the rides section. 

Ivy gives a low whistle and nods.

"Okay so, what first?" he asks praying she won't pick wimpy rides like the teacups.

"Seriously?!" he explains shocked. This girl is just full of surprises, he concludes.

"Yeah, I mean unless you'd rather go on the caterpillar. Although that is for kids under 6 but, I'm sure I could talk to Dan and make an exception for you," teases Ivy nonchalantly.