Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"So what's it like being home?" sings Dawn chopping the vegetables as her daughter starts on boiling the pasta.
"It's nice," smiles Ivy and she means that. Although she knows her life will be more difficult having to take care of not only herself but also her mother, it's nothing compared to the warm feeling of being home. Besides they do say 'home is where the heart is' and Ivy can't agree more.
"I'm glad. No regrets about college?-You know it's still only the first day-"
"Mom! We've been over this," groans Ivy taking away the chopped vegetables to be mixed in with the pasta sauce.
"I know, I know, I just don't want you to regret it," defends her mom.
"I don't. Or is there another reason you want me gone?" teases Ivy trying to lighten the mood and it succeeds as Dawn chuckles slightly.
"No! Never! You?! My precious, caring, beautiful, wonderful daughter! My own flesh and blood-"
"Alright. Alright. Miss Sarcasm, you make me feel so loved."
Dawn just grins at her sweet little girl and feels her heart melting, hoping only happiness for her.

As they sit down for dinner together, Dawn can't help but ask Ivy about how her first shift back at the diner went. Before leaving for college, Ivy would do odd shifts to help her mother out but it was mainly her mother who ran the place. Now, she has to take on the exhausting role of doing the long shifts because they can't afford to employ too many people. Ivy doesn't mind and even offered to take over the paperwork but since Dawn's naturally better at all that; Ivy decides to let that responsibility go.
"So were the customers nice to you? What about the staff?" questions Dawn.
"Yeah...It was fine, mom. The customers were fine and the, staff were nice too," dispassionately explains Ivy.
"I'm glad. And no customers gave you trouble did they?"
"...No," lies Ivy. Dawn knowing her daughter like the back of her hand immediately picks up on it and shoots her a stern look-mom mode switching on now.
"Okay, fine....but it was nothing I couldn't handle," sighs Ivy.
"What happened?" asks Dawn in a straight poker voice.
"It was just some teenage kid flirting with me, no big deal..."
"And...."
"And what?" shrugs Ivy innocently. Too innocently.
"Muffin-top, I carried you in me for 9 months, went through excruciating pain to enter you into this world and have raised you for 22 years. I'm your mom and I know you better than anyone in the world; your tricks won't work on me, baby," elaborates Dawn playing the ultimate card-the mom card. The one play in Dawn's deck that Ivy can't argue with.
"There may have been this weird guy as well..." winces Ivy waiting for Dawn's face to contort into one of worry and panic. Sure enough, it does just that causing Ivy to internally sigh deeply.

"What happened? Did you tell the cops? What did he do? Are you hurt?-"
"Mom, mom, mom...nothing really happened, I didn't tell the cops and I'm fine. He was just some cocky douche who..I don't know. He was just trying to get me to go with him and tell him my name."
Dawn's frown ceased immediately and she sucks in her bottom lip to try stop herself grinning. Suddenly she starts to see why exactly this man may have seemed 'weird' in her daughter's eyes.
"So what was so 'weird' about him?" voices Dawn watching as her daughter struggles for the right words.
"Clearly he was a murderer or something. I mean why would he want to know my name, otherwise? Or try get me to go with him?" questions Ivy indignantly.

 "So this man...was he good looking then? Handsome?" questions Dawn with faux-innocence.

Ivy's face recoils in bewilderment as she stutters out, "um...I suppose, I mean, yes he was...somewhat good looking-but I don't see why it matters."

"So was he around your age then?" carries on Dawn.

"I-I would guess so-"

"Then what was so weird. I may be old Muffin-top but at least I know when a man is trying to ask me on a date-"

"What?!" squeals Ivy, "mom, he was not...he wasn't flirting with me or asking me out. He was just some freak."

"Ivy, just because a handsome young man is trying to win your heart, it doesn't mean there's something wrong with him. Look, you don't have much dating experience-"