Chapter 3-I Forced A Smile

“Just remember, the same as a spectacular Vogue magazine, remember that no matter how close you follow the jumps: Continued on page whatever. No matter how careful you are, there's going to be the sense you missed something, the collapsed feeling under your skin that you didn't experience it all. There's that fallen heart feeling that you rushed right through the moments where you should've been paying attention. Well, get used to that feeling. That's how your whole life will feel some day. This is all practice. None of this matters. We're just warming up.”

 Chuck Palahniuk quotes (American freelance Journalist, Satirist and Novelist. b.1961)

Kasper’s POV

Maria nudged me, pointing her chin towards Jonah. My heart dropped as Taryn walked over to him. Her claw like hands all over his shoulders then down his chest. “What are you doing?” Maria hissed at me as I got out of my seat and marched towards Jonah and the whore. 

I gave her the middle finger behind my back and immediately, something sharp hit the back of the neck. Ignoring it, I kept moving forward my heart pounding, palms sweating, and mind spinning. Jonah gave Taryn one of his sexy smiles and removed her hand from his chest. 

“French is actually really easy,” Jonah said, his eyes glanced in my direction then went back to Taryn, “You just need to know how to pronounce the words and know how to spell them and know the grammar.” 

They both turned and faced me, Taryn’s brown eyes were daggers as they stared into my blue ones. I smiled sweetly at her, watching her face redden and turned to Jonah. “I've gotta say, you can be a dumbass sometimes."

Jonah laughed and put his hand around my waist, gently pulling me along back towards Maria and now Mikey. “You’re funny babe, but who isn’t one?” He said and sat down across from Maria. I could feel Taryn’s eyes on the back of my head. Without looking up, I asked Maria what she was looking at.

“Don’t do shit, bro.”

Looking up at her, I knew exactly what she meant. And she also knew that I couldn’t promise her anything either. Jonah looked from me to her with raised eyebrows. At that very second, I wondered if he ever saw Maria and I as one person. One gender. One heart. One friend. Just one.

Jonah was staring at me, watching me closely as I stared at Maria. She wasn’t staring at either of us, instead she was staring at the book in her hands.

“Here’s my number,” Taryn said, coming in between Jonah and I flinched, the coolness of her body coming close to mine. She must have noticed my discomfort because she gave him a quick kiss too.

“Uh... Thanks” he replied a weird look on his face.

It wasn’t hard to ignore the bitch. It was hard to ignore the look on Jonah’s and Maria’s face, already knowing what she wanted from him.

“You know smoking’s bad for you, right?” Nicole mentioned to Mikey, who was smoking a cigarette.

He tapped the end of it, little pieces of dust drifted to the floor as he took another drag of it. He held it in then exhaled slowly, blowing the smoke in her face, “It helps me to relax. Now shut up and look for Chloe, you’re lucky that Savanna couldn’t go.”

Nicole stuck out her tongue at him once his back was turned and I smirked. We were waiting outside of the Air Canada Centre, waiting for Jonah, Maria, Quinn, and now a girl named Chloe. The line up to get in was huge, people were pushing and shoving around us. Nicole and I were the only ones who were in line, while Mikey was off to the side a bit, smoking and looking for everyone else.

I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my worn out jeans, the noise of screams, shouts, laughter, and music filled my ears.

“I’m so excited!” Nicole nearly screamed to me. I looked up, my gaze meeting hers, her green eyes shining in the bright streetlights surrounding us.

I laughed, short and sweet, “first concert?”

She nodded her head the same way Mikey does. “He never lets me go anywhere” she whispered to me. But no matter how slow, or how quiet she said it, Mikey heard every word she said.

“Actually,” Mikey started, taking a drag of his cigarette before saying anymore. He exhaled and the smoke blew out into the cold night air. “Roger, won’t let you go anywhere. I had to beg him to let you come here, remember?”

I watched as Nicole blew her font bangs out of her eyes and looked away muttering a ‘whatever'. Roger was their step-dad. And not a nice man, I knew that for a fact since last year, Mikey wasn’t allowed to do shit with us. He was the average forty-or-so guy with a balding head, and a beer belly the size of the Earth.

“Kasper, where is Maria?” Mikey asked after a few minutes of silence. The line to get in was moving (but barely). I shrugged my shoulders, the air getting colder by the minutes.

“Beats me, I never know where she is.”

He gave me an unsure look, like I knew something I wasn’t telling him. I shrugged again just as she walked up to me, out of breath, cheeks red, ocean blue eyes unfocused. “Hey,” she said, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. I nodded my head, about to say something when she turned to Mikey and walked towards him.

Warm arms wrapped themselves around my waist, pulling me backwards just a little.

“Hey, babe” he whispered into my ear. His breath was warm against my skin, making my heart race and my head spin. I clenched my jaw and said, ‘Hi’ back. Seconds later Quinn showed up. I wouldn’t have even known it was him because most of his face was covered by the big hoodie he had on. Jonah kissed my cheek and my stomach churned. (Remember what I told you before? About not being accepted? Well keep it in mind).

The second he pulled away was the second that the whispers and stares started. What was the worst part? That all the eyes were on me. Their faces full of disgust, hatred, and rage. I didn’t notice that Chloe was here until the line was moving easily inside. We slipped right in.

Savanna’s POV

I closed my eyes and sighed then opened them again. The concert started about twenty minutes ago, my friends were already inside listening to my favourite band in the world. “One more day” I whispered to myself.

I couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital and my doctor said that I was ready to go by tomorrow morning. Everything was fine. Except for the dreams, they were coming back.

“Miss Lancaster,” a nurse said at my doorway.

I looked over at her and she smiled at me. I forced one back. “You need to rest, big day tomorrow,” She finished.

I nodded my head and turned away rolling my eyes. They treated me like I was five instead of seventeen. After the nurse left I laid back down in the hospital bed and closed my eyes, a picture of a woman with blonde hair and evergreen eyes smiling at me came into my mind. My mother, the last day that she was actually functional.

“I love you, Banana” She said before she disappeared into the darkness.

Mind voting? Thanks (: