Chapter 24 He won't give up

Bree's POV
Two weeks had passed. I was still going to work as usual. I regretted going today. Rebel had been shot in practice. He was almost in the same condition as Rye was in. It hurts every time to see wounded people that only remind me of Rye. I had gotten more fatigue, which meant I am pregnant. All the signs are clear. I took a test, and I came out positive.
The stress didn't help either.. Rye had been doing good last week. Everything was going alright.. Until this week approached. Ryes coma was getting worse. The doctors updated me this week, but nothing good came from it.. Although his broken neck was healing efficiently.
Today I got off work early. I went straight to the hospital as usual. Hoping Rye is doing better. I got to know the nurses and staff so well here over the past weeks.
I walk into the room and bite my tongue trying not to cry, "Hi Rye" I say. He has gained some color, still it worries me. I set my bag down on the counter next to all the cards and flowers the military sent to him. I even bought a champagne bottle since Rye loves it. Hopefully when he wakes up we can celebrate.
I sit at the beside next to him and hold his hand, "Please wake up.." I choke, "Please Rye don't die on me.. P-please you promised that you would always be here for me." I cry.
They interrupt my crying when the doctors open up the door, "Bree" one says, "Rye hasn't gotten any better.. We just came to tell you if he doesn't wake up from his coma. I-it could be fatal"
My mouth drops open, "You can't just quit on him!"
"We're not ma'am but the coma is getting worse and-"
I interrupt him, "But he can't! You have to save him! You have too!" I sob. The doctors look at me sorrowfully, "It'll be a miracle if he does.. T-today is the due date for him."
Due date?! I can't keep myself from balling. Rye just can't leave! I remember what Katniss told me, As long as you don't give up, he won't give up.
I walk to the chair and sit back down holding Ryes hand hoping for something good to happen.. But according to the doctors.. It won't..