NHL: Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks)

Jonathan & Kara

I was never one to believe the rumors on girlfriend forums, but when I started dating Jonathan, I constantly found myself wanting to look at them. I knew I could trust him, but I wanted to see what others had to say about him.

"He's supposedly still sleeping with that Lindsey slut."

"He gets around."

"I heard Kaner helps him cheat."

"So sad Kara is choosing to ignore the girls that Jonny's with night after night."

I slammed my laptop and blinked hard, ignoring the stinging tears that were begging to fall. These people didn't know Jonathan. I knew Jonathan. Why did they think it was okay to say these disgusting things about a relationship they knew nothing about?

Jonathan was upstairs sleeping by now, and I knew I shouldn't let this get to me, but how could I stay calm when people were saying that stuff?

I slid my laptop off of my lap and jogged up the grand staircase, sliding into bed as smoothly as I could when I reached the bedroom.

"Babe?" Was muttered from Jonathan's side of the bed.

I bit my lip hard and tried to stay as still as possible. He'd went through thirteen shootout rounds earlier, and I wanted him to stay asleep.

"Kara, are you awake?" His quiet yet extremely raspy voice asked.

I sighed and gave in, sitting up and resting my back on the wooden headboard. "Yeah I'm awake."

"It's three in the morning. What's going on?" He asked, sitting up alongside me.

I knew it would do no good to try and lie, so I told him what was really going on.

"You think I'm cheating on you?"

He was wide awake now with fire filling his big, brown eyes.

"No, I didn't say that Jonny. I'm telling you what I read," I murmured.

"If you didn't think it, you wouldn't be up in the middle of the fucking night about to cry!" He yelled, getting out of the bed.

"Some of it seems so accurate, Jonathan! You're always with Kane, you're out so late some nights! How do you expect me not to believe some of it?" I yelled back, but not quite as loud as him.

"Because I'm telling you the truth! You're supposed to believe your boyfriend, not some website! I can't believe this is actually happening."

He turned and walked into the bathroom and slammed the door hard, making the pictures on the wall shake.

"Please come out," I whispered, tapping on the door.

The door swung open and Jonathan stormed past me, throwing on a shirt and some sweatpants and jogged downstairs.

"What are you doing?" I asked, trailing him.

"I'll see you tomorrow. I need to calm down."

Before I could ask anymore questions, he was out the door, leaving me alone.

...

It'd been two days since Jonathan walked out.

I wasn't really expecting a call after the loss, so it was surprising when my phone rang the next morning.

"Hello?"

"I'm coming home. We need to talk."

It was Jonathan.

"I'll be waiting."

Without another word, the line went dead and I was left to wait.

About thirty minutes later, Jonathan walked in and sat on the couch silently. I sat beside him but not too close, because I knew he liked and frankly needed his space.

He chewed the inside of his lip before inhaling sharply. "I just wanna start off by saying I'm sorry for just leaving. I knew it was wrong but I was mad. I mean, I get where you're coming from. I guess it does seem off when I'm out late or people bring up my ex, but I want you to know that you can trust me. I've never cheated on you and I never will. You have to believe that, Kara."

I smiled and nodded. It was quite obvious he was telling me the truth, which gave me a serious sense of relief. I scooted closer to him, resting my head on his broad shoulder. I never knew I could miss him so much in the span of only 48 hours, but I did. I knew when he left I'd struck a nerve.

"Why'd you get so mad, Jonny? Why'd you have to leave?" I asked. I had to know.

"I haven't had many girlfriends since I've been with the Hawks, but they've always ended with one of us not trusting the other. I never thought that'd happen with us, yet here we are," he explained.

"Jonathan, no. We're not gonna break up over something so stupid. I trust you. I was warned about dating a hockey player, but let me tell you, I don't regret not listening to them. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I really appreciate you. I love you and we will stay together."

He leaned down and kissed the top of my head while wrapping a long, strong arm around my shoulders. "I love you so much, Kara."