Chapter 5: The Hokage

Shiro

Chapter Five

The Hokage

Four months passed before Kenpachi finally declared that he had taught us all that he could. We were on par with most Chunin, he had stated and encouraged us to go and join Konohagakure’s ranks. When this had been brought up, Gin and I looked at each other blankly. We both respected the old man, that was no lie. We had been slowly ‘regaining’ our memory, out of guilt of lying to such a great person. And now, he was trying to encourage us to a better future.

So, the day finally came when it was time to say goodbye. We were teary-eyed – well, I was. Gin refused to even show any emotion like the ass he was – when saying goodbye to the man that had become like a grandpa to us both.

But, I believe Gin cracked when Kenpachi presented both of us with something. Over the past two weeks, he had been working on a special  project that he had refused to let us in on. The project turned out to be two katanas, both over four feet long yet still extremely light and sturdy. Both had hilts engraved with a dragon – mine – or a tiger – Gin’s.

When we had been presented with the amazing weapons, I had instantly engulfed the old man in a hug before examining the katana with utmost awe. Gin, on the other hand, was staring at his katana with an odd expression on his face and his eyes now slightly wet.

Then, I had witnessed the most surprising thing I could ever say I’ve seen Gin do: he  hugged Kenpachi.

Like, not a pat on the back,  not one of those weird bro hugs guy’s often did, but he hugged Kenpachi like he was an old family member, one that all of the grandkids loved and looked up to.

Then, came the most painful part of our goodbye – actually waving back to Kenpachi as we left the shop which had become our home. There were a few goodbyes shouted by the neighboring vendors that we had also became friends with before both the shop and Kenpachi was out of sight.

We had promised to send mail, that way we could be updated with everything that was happening to the man and that we would send him a message if we were accepted as Konoha shinobi.

Gin and I walked for two days, both of us taking out time and frequently drawing our swords from where they hung on our backs in their sheaths, held there by a black rope which was ultra-strong and crossed over our chests.

Soon, we came upon the huge walls of Konohagakure. The village was surrounded by large timbers of wood which reached high into the air. We entered at a large wooden door with kanji printed upon them – a language I was very close to becoming fluent in.

Two men caught our attentions as they called over from a booth and we walked over, getting curious yet apprehensive looks from the both of them.

“Traveling papers?” The one with a bandage crossing his nose requested.

Having been told that that was how we would be greeted upon entering the large village, both Gin and I produced the proper papers from our pockets and handed them over.

“We’d like to have a word with your Hokage.” I told them, making the two men glance at each other before returning the papers to us. The one with his hair covering one eye got up and gestured for us to follow him.

Heading out into the busy street, he quickly led us towards a large white and red building – though he made extra sure that we were still following him and not running off to explore (and quite possibly attack) the village.

Soon though we were brought up a winding staircase before being led to a room where the ninja knocked and then entered without us.

Leaning against the wall of the hall, Gin and I exchanged glances. Our relationship had slowly been growing better seeing as we each had our own body now and he wasn’t constantly requesting to be given control of mine.

After a few moments the ninja returned, telling us that we could enter before walking off back down the stairs. Frowning at the rude ninja, we entered the room without a second glance back.

Behind a desk sat an elderly man adorned with white robes and a red hat with a kanji for fire printed upon it. He had a pipe hanging from his lips and looked at us curiously as we both stopped five feet from the desk stacked with paperwork he no doubt had to complete.

“Shiro and Gin? No last names?” He asked. Both of us nodded while I spoke.

“I’m Shiro. We’re here to request becoming ninja of Konohagakure.” Raising an eyebrow at the statement, the Hokage leaned back in his chair comfortably, letting out smoke from his pipe.

“What skills do you two possess?”

Glancing at one another we looked back at the Hokage with matching expressions of confusion.

“Er, what skill level are you two at?” He asked instead.

“Chunin. Or so our teacher says.”

“Teacher?” He looked curious at this.

“Hisagi Kenpachi.” We echoed at once and the Hokage grinned.

“Ah, Kenpachi. I’ve been wondering how he’s doing. So, he’s trained you both to Chunin level has he?”

“Yes. He’s a blacksmith now about ten miles south of here.” I explained and the Hokage nodded.

“Yes….well, I’ll except you two as shinobi of the Hidden Leaf. Only, you’ll be enrolled into a group of Genin, seeing as I’ll have to have you two watched for a few months to make sure you’re truly dedicated to us. The only reason for you to be put in a group of Genin instead of Chunin is because in a month’s time, Konoha will be hosting the Chunin Exams here in the village. I’ll have you participating to see if you really are on Chunin level.” The Hokage explained and we both nodded in understanding before I remembered something. If we were going to be watched….

“Um. I might as well tell you this now seeing as we do this a lot. We can disappear and sort of….inhabit another’s mind.” I mumbled, scratching the back of my head as I thought of a proper explanation for it. Kenpachi had called it a kekkei genkai after seeing what happened but truthfully, I think it was simply because Gin’s always been trapped inside my head.

The Hokage looked confused. “Explain.”

“Well….” Glancing over at Gin, he nodded and suddenly disappeared into thin air and I felt his presence within my mind.

“Where’d he go?” The old man questioned, eyes narrowed.

I tapped my temple. “He’s inside my mind. I can feel his presence. We’ve always been able to do this for some reason.”

In the next second, Gin was now standing beside me again while the Hokage glanced between us thoughtfully. Finally nodded, he clapped his hands.

A ninja appeared in a puff of smoke, their head bowed as they waited for the Hokage to speak. “Get Asuma.”

Nodding, the ninja disappeared yet again while the Hokage gestured for us to sit at two chairs which sat against the wall. We did so, exchanging ideas as to who this ‘Asuma’ person would be.

~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~

Authors Note

Awh, look! I actually updated earlier than I said I would! It’s so amazing ;~;

xD

At the moment my cat is giving me the evilest glare ever seeing as I just woke him up ._____.

OH WELL. DEAL WITH IT, SHUN.

Yes, my cat’s name is Shun ._. he’s fucking evil. And he’s staring at me with his creepy eyes o.O

I know. Here, here’s a picture ~>

Anyway, peace and all that shit~!

~Mew

Song of the Chapter

Apologize – Silverstein