14 | Adding to the Ranks

"So—so Kendall is really here."

It wasn't a question, and I didn't bother replying to Falice's words as she gaped at the place where her book had been hovering just moments ago. My eyes scanned Falice's, Ty's, and Will's faces as they took in what they'd just witnessed. Ty's expression was pretty much exactly like Falice's, except his mouth was open wider than hers, and, for the most part, Will's face was impassive. He hadn't said anything since his one-worded response.

This was going well.

Suddenly Falice sat up, pushing up the sleeves of her shirt as her shock swapped places with concern. "And you have how long until she disappears?"

"Not long. She already can't move at will."

"Oh my god." Falice shook her head, bringing a hand through her hair. "I can't even imagine—if this was Arabelle—"

"If what was Arabelle?"

We all turned and watched as Arabelle entered the room, hands placed securely on her hips. She eyed us all suspiciously, and when no one answered her question, she raised her eyebrows. "If what was Arabelle?" she repeated.

Falice glanced at me questioningly, but didn't wait for me to give the okay. Not that I cared. It was one less person to explain this situation to. Besides, I kinda assumed Falice and Arabelle were a package deal. If Kendall were alive, I'm sure we would have been the same way. "Isabel's sister, Kendall, is dead, and she needs our help before she disappears into oblivion."

Arabelle blinked. "Say what."

Falice nodded.

Arabelle paused, eyeing Falice somewhat warily. "Is this kind of like that moment when I told you that I wanted you to go to Camp Sunshine Brooks for me and you assumed I was kidding when I wasn't?"

Falice nodded again.

"Huh." Arabelle twisted around to face me then, face scrunched with thought. I wondered if she was trying to decide if I was crazy. "So Kendall is where, exactly?" she asked finally, removing her gaze from me and glancing around the room, searching for someone she couldn't see.

I pointed to the spot beside me with my thumb. "She's right here."

Arabelle's eyes swerved to where Kendall stood with her arms crossed over her chest. Their eyes locked. And even though I knew Arabelle couldn't see Kendall, it felt like she could. "Hey," Arabelle said.

And that was that.

Kendall cocked an eyebrow. "Damn, I really like her."

"So what's the plan, exactly?" Arabelle asked, expression expectant as she turned back to face her sister. "I don't have much experience in saving the afterlife. Ask me to shave a head and I'm your girl, but—"

"We have to get this girl named Ashlynn Brady to admit to what she's done," Falice explained, and then she told Arabelle what I'd just told everyone else—a less detailed version, but the basic concept all the same. I glanced at Diana, Elijah, and Kendall, a small smile almost finding its way to my lips. I didn't even have to ask these guys for help and they offered it—like it was nothing, like it was the obvious thing to do.

"Ashlynn Brady?" Arabelle said when Falice finished. "I have study hall with her." She shot a glance our way. "If you need me to do anything, I'll see what I can do. What's your next move?"