There's A Vampire And An Issue - Lexi's POV (Chapter Twenty-Three)

Lexi's POV

"Ok, Ms Star, thanks for telling us. If you hear any news from her, you'll call?" I heard Riley's voice as I walked towards the dorm room which we shared.

Confusion overwhelmed me. Why was she speaking to Skylar's mother? I tried to think of everything which had occurred in the past few days. Skylar had been distant, silent, opting not to speak to any of us - not even Elena could get through to her. And I seen her try, several times. I couldn't recall the amount of times that she had latched onto Skylar's arm and held on tightly.

However, Skylar was a Vampire. She was the second best Supernatural in the world and Elena was a Shapeshifter, runner up to the Race of Vamps. She didn't have any hope of keeping her there long enough for her to break thorough the wall which the midnight-haired beauty had been swiftly building.

I opened the door to the dorm, to see Alex seated on the floor with her scrapbook placed in front of her, her tongue sticking out as she tried to place the pictures, removed from a magazine, properly on the page.

It had been a suggestion from her tutor, to try and kick-start her mind. He had suggested that she tried more artistic things and it seemed like the little Witch had found a passion in keeping scrapbooks.

Riley was seated on the edge of her bed, in the process of removing her pink mobile from her ear. Her grey eyes flickered to the door when I walked in.

"What's wrong?" I asked her, noting the worried expression on her face.

Alex glanced up, focusing her attention on Riley and I.

"That was Skylar's mother. She said that she's taking Skylar out of school for the next few days." Riley informed me,

"Why?" Alex asked, confusion clouding her doe-like brown eyes.

Riley shrugged, "All she said was that Skylar wasn't at herself."

"Which we knew already." I murmured,

"Supernaturals don't obtain illnesses often." Riley breathed,

"And, when they do, they're pretty severe. Usually to the point where they can't move." Alex explained,

"And, from the way our Vampiric friend leaped out of bed this morning, I'm going to assume that she hasn't contracted any deadly diseases. So there's something which mother dearest isn't telling us." I stated, walking across the room and sitting down on my bed.

When had things suddenly got so complicated? It seemed like our life had suddenly flipped, without warning. One minute, we were seated in Marianne Vanderbilt's impressive living room, discussing ideas for a ball and then one of our roommates had suddenly disappeared and I was avoiding our history teacher because I had, not-so-accidentally, kissed him.

Life was never easy for Supernaturals, was it?

Just because we were faster, stronger, more cunning, etc. than the human race didn't mean that we were necessarily equipped to deal with these types of things. I knew I certainly wasn't. A wall of guilt slammed into me whenever I walked into the history classroom and looked into those beautiful, sparkling chocolate-brown eyes.

"What are we going to do?" Alex whispered, her soft brown eyes growing wide.

I sighed, ran a hand through my hair and then spoke. "We wait. It's all we can do."

"If our help was needed then Skylar's mother would have asked for it." Riley nodded, agreeing with me.

It was at that point when the door to our room opened again, to reveal someone who never stood at our doorway.