That Conversation In The Bathroom (Chapter Nine)

The next time I woke up, it was because there was harsh sunlight entering through the glass of the large bay window, which was situated at the bottom of my bed. I squinted, as my eyes gradually grew used to the bright light which was entering. When they had adjusted, I took in the surroundings. Inside the room, my three roommates were sound asleep, all of them looking so beautifully peaceful. The joys of being a Supernatural, I supposed.

Outside, I could hear the sound of the early risers. When I listened, I could make out their different conversations and the laughter which often followed. I didn't think that I'd ever been anywhere that was filled with so much mirth. Amongst the chatter and the laughter, I could hear the sounds of various sports being played. It sounded like there was football, basketball, tennis and a lot more. I couldn't say that it surprised me; most Supernaturals were built to be athletic. It was part of their nature. Although, you did come across the occasional Race, like Witches, who didn't believe in exercise. Then again, if you were a Witch, the only thing which you'd need to exercise would be your brain.

Quietly, just like I had done last night, I rose from my bed and disappeared out of the room. I could hear someone moving around in the bathroom, which couldn't be unexpected, considering the sixteen other girls who shared this dorm with me. What stopped me in my tracks, however, was the voice.

Inside someone was humming a song and the voice sounded far too deep, far too smooth and far too molten chocolate-like for it to be a girl. For some reason, nerves bubbled up in my stomach. I had never been nervous around guys before. Growing up in a Werewolf household, with an Alpha as a father, the majority of people I came across were men. They were generally the ones who my father called up to the Alpha house, since they were usually the ones in the "fighting" pack. Then again, I have seen my father recruit some females for the pack army, although those are the ones he usually spends most of his time complaining about.

Taking a mental breath, I walked into the bathroom. The first thing which I saw was the muscular back and the broad shoulders of whoever it was in there. When the figure straightened up, I noticed the chestnut hair. Mark Vanderbilt. I walked further inside, remaining silent, as he began to sing softly. All I could do was listen to him, completely mesmerised. He had an amazing voice, even though I was still trying to place the song he was singing. However, it did make sense. Someone who had such an amazing voice when they talked, should have an amazing voice when they sang.

Without a sound, I leaped up onto the counter, too intrigued by his voice to let him know that he had an audience. My wolf stirred into wakefulness and we both sat companionably as we watched the handsome Vampire tidy up the bathroom as best as he could. His back remained to us, as he wiped the doors of the toilet cubicles, getting rid of any trace of foundation, blusher, lip-gloss, mascara, eyeliner, or anything else which the overly made-up girls had smudged on the door.

As his voice grew fractionally louder, I recognised the song. It was The Calling's "Wherever You Will Go". A love song. My mind flicked through all the endless possibilities of why he had chosen that song to sing. I knew it was ridiculous. After all, the man might just have the song bouncing around in his head. Or it might be one of his favourites...

The more I thought about it, the more I realised that I really wanted to know the answer. I wanted to know what his favourite song was, his favourite film, his favourite colour, his favourite singer, even his favourite type of blood. Well... actually... we could probably give that last one a miss; thinking of him all animalistic and guzzling down blood made me feel frightened, uncomfortable and, frankly, kind of disgusted.

I was too lost in thought to notice when he turned around. However, I did snap out of it when I heard something clatter to the floor. Surprised, I looked around, trying to find the source of the noise - only to find that it had come from him dropping the cleaning spray in his shock of seeing me here. Chocolate eyes blinked at me, and I found the nerves jumping around in my stomach increasing. Like I always did when I was nervous, angry, thinking, or having any heightened emotion, I ran my hand through my hair. After looking at me for a moment longer, Mark bent down to pick up the cleaning spray which he had dropped.