Chapter 4: Reed

Chapter 4: Reed

I took a deep breath as I walked out of the room. All the other girls weren’t given permission to leave yet and were sitting in various chairs in a waiting room, underneath the Council Chambers.

The Council was the opposite of what I had assumed they would be. Sure, they sat in seats and looked down at me imposingly, but they seemed less…formal than I’d expected.

I had waited hours, listening to the girls come, then go, then come back again, and I could vaguely hear their ‘interviews’ going on. After lunch—which was rather fun for us; it was like room service—most of the girls stomped back and complained that the Principe was asleep. I smiled slightly at this. The girls who were interviewed were escorted to the other side of the room. The girl 2 seats in front of me had to be escorted, and I could have sworn I heard the Principe’s deep voice before she was carried away and placed in a separate room. The girl in the seat to my right gave me a nervous smile before confidently standing up and walking out.

I slumped in my seat. What chance did I have against her? I had bed head and was wearing jeans for Queen’s sake!

When she came back, I stood up and walked out to the hall. The families were placed in separate rooms, but I could see Kage and Amy smiling encouragingly at me.

They were…enthusiastic to say the least. When I walked out and sat in the last chair, all the girls gave me dirty looks. I wanted to yell at them, look, you can have the Principe. I don’t even want this!

But I couldn’t so I didn’t. I just kept it in, looking at the floor. There was a slight pressure on my hand. I looked up, and the highly attractive blonde, Candidate 11, was looking at me, her hand gripping mine. It was smooth and cool.

“If it’s worth anything,” She whispered to me, so the others wouldn’t hear. “I think you did fantastic.”

“Thanks,” I murmured. “You did great too.” She nodded and removed her hand.

“I don’t want you to think of me as self centered or anything,” She said suddenly, causing me to jerk my head up. I had been counting the stones in the ground. “But you and I are probably the only real Candidates here.”

I shook my head. “It’s fine. You were the only one who was asked the final question by the King.”

“And you,” She said smiling. I smiled slightly back.

“I guess,” I said, tracing a pattern on the floor with the toe of my shoe. “But he’d most rather pick you. I mean, you look like a model!” Her face hardened.

“If I was chosen, that would probably be the only reason.” She said darkly. Then she smiled; it was so dazzling. Every time she did it I was caught off guard. “You’re smart though, and good under pressure. It’s a great quality in a Queen.”

The girl a couple seats down scoffed. “As if He’d pick you Little Red. Your blood isn’t even pure.” She tossed her hair over one shoulder. “And look at what you’re wearing!” Half the girls made noises of agreement. Before I could open my mouth, or even formulate a response, Blondie laughed.

“Do you think He gives a shit about that?” She asked, jeering. The other girl blinked, taken aback by her harshness. Then she found herself.

“Yes! All the Queens of Waneta have been of Royal Blood. It would be a disgrace to His mother—“ She didn’t even get to finish her sentence before Blondie was on her feet.

“Don’t you dare speak about Our Queen like that. She loved Him.” Her anger dissipated and she smiled that stunning smile, but her eyes were still cold. “As I recall, He slept through yours, so I wouldn’t be talking.”