Chapter 3: Beckett

Chapter 3: Beckett

Da and I walked into Council Chambers early, so none of the members were there. He sat on the ornate chair to the right and I sat on the one to the left of the Queen’s seat. His was larger than mine. Since this wasn’t an official Council meeting, we wore what we pleased. Da wore a suit, but without the tie, and it wasn’t fully buttoned. The jacket lay on the back of the chair. I was wearing some new, but comfy jeans and a loose white button down shirt.

The council filed in and took their customary seats. There were 11 seats in a circle formation. Where there would have been a 12th seat were the Royal Trinity; the Queen’s seat, to the right, the King’s seat, and a seat for their eldest child on her left, if their children were all boys. You had to be at least 13 to be present at meetings; if you were the youngest girl, even if you had 5 older brothers, and were of age, you would automatically get the seat, unless you were otherwise occupied. I got the seat since I was an only child.

“King Rory,” said the royal announcer. I had always though them to be useless; everyone knew who we were. “And Prince Beckett, son of Queen Mirabella.”

We stood, as did the Council members, who only sat down after we did.

“Do you need anything sir?” A timid voice to my left. Ah, my servant for this meeting. “Black coffee would be nice, thanks.” He couldn’t be more than 12. He scurried off, and I sighed. They’re always too young, forced to work to support their parents and siblings. I would give him a couple gold coins, to help him out. I was raised to be aloof, but I was taught kindness and compassion too. I fished through my pockets and came up with a couple Auros.

He came back with my coffee and I handed him the coins. His eyes widened and he bowed a bit thrusting them back towards me. The royal announcer named all the Council members, his voice a drone as I focused on the boy’s face.

“I can’t take this sir,” He said, his voice fearful.

“What’s you name servant?” I was known for being kind to lowers in the castle, but if he was new he wouldn’t know that. He trembled and choked out three words.

“Edmund Rothschild, sir.” I snapped my fingers and another servant walked over. Da gave me a curious look, but turned back to listen to Bristol Platt, the Head Consul, state this meeting’s grounds.

“We are here to judge the best choice for Prince Beckett, son of Queen Mirabella, as a wife. We have 12 candidates…” Her deep voice became part of the background as Justinian walked over.

“Justinian, take Edmund to Matilda. She will train him.” I said. He cocked his head.

“So sorry sir, but train him for what?”                            

“Being my personal servant. Matilda is retiring.”

“Yes sir.” He grasped a terrified Edmund by the elbow and pulled him out of the circular room from a discreet servant’s door I used to get sweets from when I was younger. I watched their progression.

“Prince Beckett?”  Bristol’s amused voice rang out.

“Yes Consul?” I say, flustered. My instructors had drilled in my head to never be caught off guard at a Council meeting…but I was never one for listening.

“Shall we proceed?”

“Yes Consul,” I say firmly.

“Candidate One,” She called out, turning away from me. I slumped down in my chair. Everyone’s focus was on the slight girl coming out from the doorway under the circle. There were 2 separate floors, the Council on one, the visitee on the other. “Julianna Baskett.”