Chapter 6: Reed

Chapter 6: Reed

I had gone home and packed everything I needed in a hurry. A Royal car had dropped me off, and when I emerged from my home the next morning, it had still been there.

Before I could wonder anything, the driver growled, like a Wolf.

“Get in.” I was too scared to ask.

The drive home had lasted 2 hours, and we had left at 4 PM. I had gotten there at 6 PM and had left at 9 AM. When we got back it was 12 and I was really energized. And hungry.

I met up with Camille and we hugged. Two very nice servants, Edmund and Justinian, offered to bring up our suitcases. We chatted and laughed a bit, walking up the stairs. I could see the Prince looking, his eyes seeming almost—betrayed?

Camille snapped her fingers in front of my face. “Boys like it if you act unavailable. Make you hotter.”

I looked at her, confused. “So I should act uninterested?” She nodded. “But then wouldn’t that make me seem—I dunno, dishonest?”

“Not dishonest, just—well I don’t really know what to call it.” She shrugged, then brightened. “Hey, I asked for adjoining rooms! Now they can’t bother you as much.”

We spent 3 blissful days giggling and just hanging out. I hadn’t done that—well, ever. I never trusted anyone but Kage and Amy. We had a pillow fight the first night, ate so much candy that Camille puked on the second night, had mini makeovers on the third, talked about ball dresses the forth, played ninja around the castle on the fifth night, and snuck into the Palace pool for a dip on the sixth. But it wasn’t quite sneaking out because there had been a guard there to watch us. I had felt self-conscious wearing Camille’s black and orange striped bikini, and had almost changed right back into my clothes when she looked at me. Her eyes watered, her lower lip stuck out, and her forehead crinkled.

“Please?” She begged. “It’s too small for me and you look great.” She hadn’t seen my back yet. Most of my scars had faded, some non-existent, but there was this long lumpy scar on my back that had never healed properly, and looked ugly. Tears filled my eyes. “What’s wrong?” Camille said, all playfulness gone. I turn around and show her. She runs a finger down, over the raised parts, caressing the hurt away with that one move.

“What happened?” I told her of my father’s abuse of me. She looked angry, but calmed down when I told her of his death.

She shrugs. “You’re still beautiful, plus it’ll just be you and me.”I nodded and pulled on a large shirt of Kage’s and we went. It was really fun, splashing around, and her teaching me how to dive. We got back to our rooms at 4 AM and slept until noon. It was awesome!

The seventh, Camille left to go on a date with a guard.

“Camille!” I hissed, pulling her back into our room. It was about 10:45 and I had caught her sneaking out.

“What?” She said, irritated.

“What do you think you’re doing? Or going?” I eyed her outfit. It was a tight gold dress, held up only by a pair of thin straps. It went to mid thigh. Her hair was cascading down her shoulders, and her makeup was exquisite. I looked disapproving on the outside, but I was envious on the inside.

“Date, party, whatever.” She shrugged.

“You told me,” I said accusingly. “That you had someone back home.”

“I do,” She said, her eyes flashing. “And I love him! So back off. I just wanted some booze, alright?”

I hated alcohol. It ruined my life by fucking up my dad’s. I swore I’d never drink it, or hang out with the kind of people that did. I didn’t think Camille drank though. I took a step back, my words lifeless. “Fine. Have fun.” I turned to close the door.