The Black Vulture: Chapter Two (Photo of Charlie)

~~~~Chapter Two~~~~

Suddenly, it's like the weight of the world has dropped on my shoulders. Charlie and I immediately ran towards the direction of the lunchroom. My feet moved rapidly but my mind couldn't quite process what's going on. Sophie can't possibly be dead...

We burst through the double doors of the lunchroom. Everyone was gathered around a small circle at the center of the room. When we finally got through the crowd, I wrapped my hands around my mouth.

There, lying on the floor, was Sophie, covered in her own blood.

Tears were trickling down my cheeks. I sank to the ground, unable to look away from the corpse of Charlie's twin sister.

Charlie was still standing up, his dark hair covering his eyes. But by the way his shoulders shook, I knew he was weeping for his sister. I removed my hands from my mouth and reached for Charlie's hand. And the other for Sophie's cold ones. I placed their hands together and looked at Charlie. He stared at me with his sad blue eyes. 

At that, he broke down and kneeled on the floor beside me. He gently placed his arms around his sister so he could hug her. Sophie's blood was staining his cloak but he didn't mind. I placed my hands on my lap and looked at them. But I couldn't see them quite clearly because of the tears that filled my eyes.

I remembered the time Sophie asked me if we could be best friends just like Charlie and I were. I remembered when she had sewn me a dress and gave it to me as a birthday present. I remembered her laughing at her brother's mistakes. 

But all those are just memories now.

The thought made me cringe. Why would warlocks do such a cruel thing to her? My anger flamed even more when Miss Margarette entered the room.

"See what happens when you try to steal things from warlocks?! We give you clothing, food, shelter-- everything! What else could you possibly want?" She boomed.

"Freedom," someone said.

"Slave 562, how unwise of you to answer back." Miss Margarette said grimly. "Your parents has given you to us willingly the day you were born. And now you are here to serve us until your bones crack,"

At those words, the boy who have spoken was raised in midair and something inside of him snapped. I flinched when he gave out a scream.

"You will work for us until you sweat blood!" Miss Margarette raised her hand and twisted her wrist. I could see the black, tattoo-like markings that rose from her wrists to her forearm. Light emanated from her palm. The boy started sweating a surprising amount of blood. Bile started to form in my throat.

"You will stay with us until you die,"

The boy fell on the ground. Dead.

I looked away from the sight and stiffled a scream. 

"And for those of you who disobey orders...Well, now you know what will happen." Miss Margarette's black eyes shimmered darkly. She walked out of the lunchroom without looking back.

Warlock guards were starting to take Sophie away. I held on to her but Charlie grabbed my arms.

"No, let her go..." He mumbled.

I released my hold on Sophie's hand, letting the guards take her. Having no idea where she will be taken.

***

 "I'm not hunting," I said stubbornly.

"Yes, you are, Audrielle." Charlie said with tiredness in his voice.