Chapter 8

Rearranged Chapter 8

Alyson woke up in the muddle of the night. She had been dreaming, but for some reason the dream stopped and she opened her eyes. The tired girl groaned as she searched for her clock. Where was it? It was usually right next to her on her dresser. Then she remembered where she was with a such surprise, she started choking on her own saliva.

When she finally got her breathing back to normal, she suddenly became aware of how loud she was breathing and that the sociopath was in the room right next to her. She slowly counted to thirty before moving again, maybe he'd think he was just imagining and ignore it.

She tried to remember where everything had been from earlier in the day as she padded around the room. She ran her hand on the wall and grinned silently as she felt the door.

She scrambled for the lock and smiled as she unlocked the door. The hinge slid out silently and that was it. The door was open, a pathway to freedom. 

Struggling to believe it was that easy, she stepped outside... and turned right into William's face.

"Weren't you aware of alll the ruckus you were making was interrupting a perfectly sound dream." William said sarcastically.

"Haha, you caught me." Alyson turned around to head back to her room. 

"Wait," William said, grabbing her forearm. "It has technically been a day, so you should read the next chapter of your father's journal." he suggested.

Alyson felt like beaming with happiness at a chance to learn more about her father but she was standing in front of William. Instead she sneered and grabbed the notebook from William's hand. She spun on her heels and retreated back to room. 

She turned on the lights and fell on to her bed. She flipped to the second entry and absorbed every word of her father's neat hand-writing.

*My son/daughter, I have assigned a guardian to protect you. He should be around your age, I know he is reliable and will follow my orders so I beg you to do what he says. You may find him callous, cold, too unfeeling but he knows best so please listen to him. You may want to read ahead and read this whole book on a night but please limit yourself to a passage a day. But to talk on the topic of your Rearranging, I will start with basics, you probably subconsciously already use it to heal your cuts faster but I will teach you to use consciously. First begin with a simple fruit, I prefer oranges*

Alyson smiled as she read this, thinking of apples and oranges. Her father went on to explain how to simply Rearrange a fruit, something she had learned by herself when she was 7.  She had read the passage 5 times when she heard a knock on her door. She turned back to her clock, it was 6 in the morning. Had she really spent 4 hours analyzing her father's words? William was probably knocking on the door to "wake  her up" now. 

She opened the door widely and rolled her eyes, a default position whenever she faced the short Indian boy. She almost had a heart attack when she saw two uniformed police officers. They both looked pretty young like under 30 years. One was a women who was clearly younger than the man that stood beside her. 

"Is he here?" She asked.

Alyson was too stunned for a while to say anything. Finally she found the words. 

"Pardon me?" 

"Is your boyfriend here?" the male officer asked.

Alyson ran through the term "boyfriend" through her memory. She didn't have a boyfriend as far as she knew, she wa probably th only girl in her grade who had never dated anybody. Then she remembered William.

"You mean, William? He's in the next room." She answered. 

The male cop turned to Williams room while the female cop stepped into her room without invitation.

She placed a hand on Alyson's shoulder and stared at him with eyes full of pity. "Are you okay?"

Alyson raised an eyebrow "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" 

There was a huge bang next door and the male officer exited William's room with William in handcuffs. 

"Little brat was sleeping."

The female turned back to Alyson with sympathetic eyes. "We'll sort this out at the station. Would you mind coming with us?" she asked.

Alyson paused uncertainly, should she go along with it, or stop this facade right away?  

"Uummm,"she paused.

William nodded ever so slightly it was so tiny, Alyson almost thought she was imagining it. But that was all she needed.

Time to put up the act. Alyson nodded, "Yes, I will go with you."

She climbed into the front of the car with the female cop while William was cuffed in the back, sitting next to the male officer. 

As the cop car began to move, Alyson felt her heart beat out of her ribcage.