Chapter 5

Rearranging Ch 5   Alyson woke up on a wet pillow, in scratchy sheets; they itched and felt cheap. She slowly sat up and took a look at her surroundings.

The room she was in only had two beds, a mini-fridge and it  smelled if cigarettes and wet dog    The place literally reeked of motel and she had no idea how she got there. 

  "You're awake." a voice said behind her.

She whipped her head around. Standing behind her, was a short Indian boy. He looked around 13 years old. He was around her height and she was only 5'5. His hair had thick, dark curls the fell onto his forehead. His face was peppered with acne, his nose looked a bit too big for his face and his teeth were chipped and slightly crooked. He had a cut on his forehead that was covered with a bandage and his dark eyes gave him an air of seriousness*. 

  "Who are you?" Alyson asked warily.  

The boy took a step to her and answered, "I'm William Hajiv III and I saved your life."    "

Excuse me?" Alyson asked, confused.

"As I said, I just saved you. I apologize for the injury the explosion caused, that was quite unintentional. The bomb wasn't supposed to be that strong."  

Alyson stared at him silently for a few moments.  

"Why did you save me?" Alyson asked. "I mean, I don't think I know you."   

William leaned back against the wall. "Well, I'm a good friend of your father."  

"My father?" Alyson interrupted.   

William shot her a look before continuing, "Your father is currently a prisoner in a facility I would rather not name. We met once and after a quick conversation we were able to continue it using codes and secret messages. After a year of communication, we managed to form a plan to allow me to escape. Before I left, your father gave me this." William pulled a small journal out of his pocket and handed it to Alyson.   

Alyson inspected the book, it was a small, black composition journal like the ones she used for school only much smaller. She opened the book to the first page and read her father's perfect hand-writing.  

*Hello my child, I hope you find this journal safely in your hands. Even though I have never met you, even though I don't know if you are a boy or a girl or if you like sports or fashion, I definitely know that you can Rearrange. Rearranging is the ability to manipulate organic matter. It can used wonderfully to cure cancer victims or maliciously to mutilate someone past recognition. If you don't learn how to control your Rearranging you may accidentally perform the latter. With this book, I am going to teach you how to Rearrange properly.                                -With all the love of my heart,                                 Damien Exere"  

Alyson paused as she read her father's name. So that was his name, Damien. After 15 years, she finally knew it.    William leaned forward and grabbed the notebook out of her hands.    "

That enough for the day, your father instructed that you read only one passage a day unless there is an emergency." William explained.   Alyson scowled at William. "That's mine! Give it back!" she leapt up and attempted to wrestle Damien's journal out of William's hands but the short boy managed to keep firm grip on the journal. He sent a quick blow to her stomach.  

Alyson fell away from him, clutching her abdomen. She couldn't breathe, her lungs had seized up. William stood over her while she struggled to get air into her lungs.   

"You will start breathing normally in a couple seconds." William assured. "But I am keeping the journal until you're supposed to read a passage."  

Alyson felt her breathe returning. She propped herself up and glared at William.  

"What the hell!" Alyson yelled.  

"I apologize, but there is no way I am going to disrespect your father's wishes. And he said you should only read one passage a day." William answered calmly. He glanced at the gold watch on his right hand and sighed.   

"We must go now, Alyson. There is not much time." William said. He grabbed Alyson's arm and rushed her out of the room.    Alyson followed William to a faded red Camry. William took a key out of his pocket and unlocked the car door. He held the door open for Alyson as she slid into the shotgun seat then he rushed to the driver's side. He turned the key in the ignition and drove out of the motel parking lot.   

After a few minutes of driving, when Alyson was trying wrap her head around what had just happened, Alyson found the voice to speak.    "What on earth is going on?" Alyson asked.