★ { Holly } Ancilla

Client: SeraDrake

Reviewer: lantea-

🌹》 Title, Cover, & Blurb
The title is interesting and it attracts readers to the story. It's hard to see the elements on the cover and there's quite a bit of empty space on it. The subtitle is hard to read and the author name is a little hard to read. I recommend making the text bigger and centering it on the cover with the whip behind it. Then maybe spread out the symbols that are currently at the bottom of the cover so they're at the top as well. The blurb introduces the story and characters pretty well although it feels like it's missing something. I honestly can't put my finger on what it's missing though.

🌹》 Plot
This book takes the readers on such a wonderful journey. I think this is also a story you need to read again and again to thoroughly understand every piece of it and all the references. After reading the afterword, I'd love to go back and see how each chapter fits into the Tree of Life spheres. The plot drew me in and kept me engaged throughout the chapters. I enjoyed seeing how Ancilla changed throughout the story and became more confident in who she is. The magickal elements were interesting and worked into the story well. It's clear a lot of research went into developing the story. The prologue was long, however, I think it was needed to give the necessary background information on Ancilla and help shape who her character is. The exposition introduces the characters and their situations well.

🌹》 Characters
The characters are introduced and described well. I do think there could be more reminders of their appearances, especially Ancilla's, throughout the chapters though. It's interesting that the characters aren't named (other than Magister and Ancilla and then later Erastes and Eromene). Well, other than Lydia of course. I understand that's your intention though and it works with the story. It was always easy to understand who was talking and what was happening. The characters' personalities are shown very well throughout the chapters. It was clear how Ancilla's past affects her and it was wonderful to see her grow and come out of her shell. I absolutely loved that the characters being neurodivergent wasn't their defining personality trait (unfortunately, I have read stories where the character's whole personality is "I'm neurodivergent!" and that's it). I could easily see it from their interactions and how they react to things. As well as Ancilla's tangents when discussing things and Magister's info dumping. I also loved how nerdy they both are! The characters are definitely relatable, I can see myself in parts of them. The relationship between Magister and Ancilla is also developed well. It's easy to see how much they care about each other. I definitely cried when they said goodbye and Magister left her at college.

🌹》 Grammar/Spelling
I didn't notice any spelling or grammar errors in the story.

🌹》 Writing Style
The writing style is consistent throughout the chapters and it's well done. I enjoyed the Tree of Life format that was used for the book. It was unique and the spheres helped form Ancilla's journey well. Some of the chapters were pretty long though. Information and descriptions were worked into the story well. The spicy scenes were described well. I enjoyed the descriptions of what Ancilla and Magister were eating. I feel like the deep descriptions of food aren't typically what you see in books (at least from my readings). The descriptions work though because I feel cooking for Ancilla is one of the ways Magister shows her he loves her. A lot of their dishes also sounded really good!

🌹》 Enjoyment
I don't typically read the whole book for my reviews, however, I simply couldn't help myself and I had to read the whole thing! I admit, I haven't read any of the books they have and I'm not a huge philosophy person, so some of the nuances from those aspects may have gone over my head. I did enjoy the book a lot though and I loved the journey I went on while reading it. I can definitely sympathize with Ancilla's struggle to pay her bills and other things. I do wish my rent was three hundred dollars and tuition less than that lol. I always love when characters are nerdy like me and watch/enjoy things that I do. The Voyage Home is my favorite Star Trek movie, I love The Princess Bride, and I also like Labyrinth. It always makes me feel more connected to them. I love this quote a lot: "Shortcuts are not cheats. They are creative variations."

🌹》 Overall
Overall, this story is very well crafted and thought-out. As mentioned, it's clear a lot of research went into the development. Ancilla and Magister clearly change and develop throughout the course of the story. It's crazy to look back at the beginning and see how much Ancilla has changed. Information and descriptions are worked into the story well. Some reminders of the characters' appearances could be added to the chapters. The spicy scenes were described well and the magickal elements made it unique and interesting. I enjoyed the story and would love to see where the characters go as the series continues! Also, just a note, I loved this part from the Netzach section of the afterword: "Use the words 'inner goddess' around me at your own risk, especially if you couple that phrase with some nonsense about cheerleaders and pompoms. I will take your fifty tropes, turn them upside down, and shake them violently until loose change falls out of their pockets." I'm sorry for the long wait, it's been a hectic two weeks! If there is anything from my review you'd like to blurb for your print book, let me know! I have a friend who is an indie author and I know how tough it can be. I saw a comment in your book where you mentioned struggling with writing blurbs (I can totally sympathize, I struggle with blurbs too), my indie author friend offers blurb writing services and she also makes covers and a lot of other graphics for published books. If you'd like to her Wattpad username, let me know! Good luck with your story and the rest of the series!