sixteen. it's over

☆─────────── ⋆⋅ ⍟ ⋅⋆ ───────────☆

{sixteen. it's over}

☆─────────── ⋆⋅ ⍟ ⋅⋆ ───────────☆

Late into the night, Natasha is brought into an emergency meeting called by Colonel Phillips. Her, Howard, Steve, Peggy, and a few other soldiers are stood around a map laid out on the table.

"Thank you all for joining me this late, I know the day most of you have had has been difficult." Colonel nods to Natasha and Steve who just stare at him.

Howard pats the table anxiously. "The colonel has just gotten some very important intel which calls for immediate action."

"Dr. Zola, the man who was driving the train that..." Colonel Phillips trails off as Steve bows his head. "Well we captured him and brought him here for interrogation."

Natasha watches Peggy console Steve across the table, putting her arm around his shoulder and rubbing it.

"He told us that Schmidt plans to blow up half of the world to prove his power." Phillips stabs his pointer finger at New York on a map. "Starting with the United States."

Natasha gasps. The sudden realization of what's next hitting her like a truck.

"Schmidt's working with powers far beyond our capabilities. If he gets across the Atlantic, he'll wipe out the entire eastern seaboard in an hour." Howard looks between everyone surrounding the table.

Steve takes a deep breath. "Every able-bodied man we have is either here, or in the Pacific. Our boarders are wide open."

Peggy wraps her arms around Steve's and he leans into her. Natasha just darts her eyes away.

"How much time to we have?" Peggy asks the Colonel.

"According to our new favorite doctor, under twenty four hours."

A heavy silence fills the room. Everyone knows it's now or never. Even though Steve is still grieving the loss of his best friend, his head tilts up and he blinks back his tears.

"Where is Schmidt now?" His sudden confidence and determination is admirable.

"Hydras last base is here in the alps." Phillips points at the mountain on the map, but drags his finger down. "Five hundred feet below the surface."

"Well, what are we going to do?" Howard rubs his chin. "It's not like we can just knock on the front door."

Everyone turns to Steve as he responds, "Why not?"

"That is an absolutely ridiculous idea." The colonel crosses his arms.

"Do you have a better one?" Steve retorts. "You said yourself we have under twenty four hours until catastrophe, and with building in time to gather everything and drive there.."

"With all due respect colonel," Natasha speaks up "ridiculous might be the best thing we can do right now."

Phillips nods his head. "I'll gather the troops. The rest of you put together your weapons. We ride at dawn."

Colonel moves with haste out of the room and Howard jogs to his weapons building. The men in the room all disperse to get their other comrades while Steve stares at the map with Peggy still in his arms.