Misunderstanding

Theos POV:

The Great Hall was buzzing with excitement. Banners hang from the ceiling in green and silver and in blue and bronze. The first quidditch game of the school year, and the last. Dumbledor has called for a half day due to the excitement of today, though I am feeling anything but.

I have been trying my hardest to avoid Scarlet. Watching her run to Adrian that day, after the horrid things he has done to her. Hearing him tell her it was him or me, cemented the fear in my brain that I will never be enough for her.

The mere thought that she has chosen him over me sent me spiraling into a sea of disappear. My fathers voice rings loudly in my head. My deepest fears of never being enough, losing my best friend have come true. That night I vowed I would leave her be, and let her be happy. Even if it was with that bloody git and not with me. She deserves the world. She deserves to be happy.

Blaise and I had one more practice early this morning, causing us to be late to breakfast. We make our way to our spot at the end of the long table, I hear her laugh first. That angelic sound that sends heat pooling throughout my body. Her laughter fills my body with happiness and anguish all at the same time.

Pansy and Scarlet are wearing their Slytherin house pride gear. Their outfits consisted of green and silver dots placed strategically around their eyes. Pansy is wearing Blaise's spare jersey, while Scarlet is wearing Draco's jersey from last year. Her hair is pulled half up and tied with a silk green bow, as her curls loosely cascade down her back. She looks absolutely beautiful.

I ignore the pang of sadness in my chest as the sight of her as I swallow my feelings and walk over to the group with a plastered look of indifference.

"There you boys are. I was beginning to think you weren't going to show up." Pansy states, picking at her eggs. "Are you two big manly men ready to kick some Ravenclaw arse?"

"This is stupid." I take a seat next to Pansy, so I don't have to look at Scarlet. "We have bigger things to worry about then some bloody Quidditch match." I grumble under my breath, pouring myself some tea to keep my hands from fidgeting.

Pansy smacks my shoulder as I take a sip of my tea, spilling it on the table below me. "What the hell Pans?" I shout, as I clean the mess she caused me to make.

"She's right. We need to act normal. Which means going to the game. Act excited, like we always are." I hear the silky voice of Scarlet from next to our raven haired friend. Even though I can't see her, I can just imagine the sorrowful face she is making. She has been making it alot lately.

Pansy hums in agreement. "So, that means me and Scarlet will be in the stands as always. Though, this time Draco will be with us."

"Whatever." I mumble under my breath getting up from my seat. Ignoring the scoffs and attitude from the group. They can all sit around and pretend like nothing is happening but I can't. The anxiety I feel for my two best friends -- two people who I care the most about in the world are going to be in danger and I am told I can't do anything to help. The feeling of uselessness is suffocating.

I look around and spot Padma, walking over to her, I tap her shoulder. "Hello, Padma. Beautiful day for a walk isnt it?" This has been our code word over the last two years. If we ever need a distraction, we will ask the other about taking a walk. Whether it be tired of studying, parents on our arse, or just plain horny.

Padma turns around with a smile on her face. "It is Theodore. Shall we?" I extend my hand out for her as she grasps it, excused herself from her friends and we walk side by side to my dorm. Since everyone is out at breakfast the room should be empty.

As we make our way out my eyes wander around the room and meet with Scarlet's green ones, though they are foggy with occlusion. Sadness envelops me as I force myself to look away.