Chapter 21: Round II

There was a momentary break before the first match started. The four remaining competitors sat in Prep Room A. No one exchanged any words, but none really felt like talking anyway. After 10 minutes Max and Alisha left for their match. Jaydin and Nemona watched the big screen in the Prep Room.

"I've heard a lot about Max, he used to travel with Ash" Jaydin finally spoke.

"I've heard that as well. He also partook in the Hoenn League when he officially became a Trainer. If I remember correctly he made it to the Top 4" Nemona said.

"I heard that as well. Then I guess he decided to go to the Rustboro Boarding School to gain further knowledge and experience and has since become the strongest student in that school's history" Jaydin said.

"That's true. Of course, it can't hold a flame to Naranja Academy. We've got some of the most promising students there" Nemona said.

"I don't know, Alola Academy has really great students too" Jaydin countered.

"That may be true, after all I know one thing we have that your Academy doesn't" Nemona said.

"What's that?" Jaydin asked curiously.

"There's a lot of students that hang out together and cause mischief around the campus. They're mainly just some troublemakers looking to get back at the ones who wronged them. They call themselves Team Star" Nemona explained.

"Team Star?" Jaydin said.

"Damn, and here we thought Team Yell was a shit name" Zoroark said.

"Yeah that's because, it is. But wait, what do you mean by 'wronged them'?" Jaydin asked.

"There was a lot of bullying going on at the Academy, still kinda is. Some students had had enough and formed Team Star and started recruiting other students who also suffered from being bullied. It's gotten to the point where the group is starting to become more hostile. Headmaster Clavell and I are doing the best we can to track down the source of the bullying but not much progress has been made" Nemona explained with a slightly guilty tone.

Jaydin and Zoroark were saddened to hear that. They could understand where the group was coming from.

"Being bullied is not a pleasant experience, no matter where or when it happens. I completely understand where they're coming from, and part of me would even be tempted to join them if I was still trapped in that situation" Jaydin said as he tightened his fist.

"I'm guessing you were bullied at some point?" Nemona guessed.

Zoroark was about to stop her but Jaydin placed a hand over her claw.

"Yeah. There was this kid around my age that bullied me relentlessly when I was little. He and his friends made my life hell and I was too weak and scared to fight back. But I finally did manage to escape from him and it's been years since I've even seen him. But, to this day I'm still afraid to face him, but at the same time, I want to beat him into the ground until he begs me to stop" Jaydin said as he looked down, a mix of anger and anxiety on his face.

Zoroark and Nemona were caught off guard by his response. Zoroark of course wanted to do that, but she didn't expect Jaydin to say he wanted to do the same.

"I'm sorry, I can't even imagine what that was like..." Nemona said as she looked down.

"Some people just...like tormenting others I guess..." Jaydin said as he looked away.

Nemona turned her head towards Jaydin's, who was still looking away. She could tell that it must've been worse than he was letting on.

"...but y'know...sometimes great misfortune, can bring greater fortune" Jaydin said.