Chapter 7: Lost

******

“Who’s Linda?” Nina came up from behind Leo with those perky ears of hers. ’And I thought I was whispering to myself!’ he chuckled, not knowing what to say.

“She’s a, not-so-popular work colleague…”

"Right, I know what you’re talking about…she’s one of those nosey annoying ones that seem to turn up unexpectedly and mess up your social life.” Nina understood well.

“Exactly!” Leo huffed, already getting frustrated with Linda’s presence, even though she could have been anywhere in the warehouse and she technically wasn’t even beside him.

“What’s Linda doing here?” Kyle questioned.

“She’s your sister…Shouldn’t we be asking you?”

“I don’t track her movements.”

“Well, you should, she’s a danger to the public!” Leo joked, a little too harshly.

 “Even if she’s as annoying as you say, she’s got a great taste in shoes!” Natalie laughed, pointing at the heels.

“Thanks!” Came a feminine voice from the stairs. “Hi, I’m Linda!” she came over to shake Natalie’s hand and then Nina’s. She was dressed smartly as if she’d been in a meeting. Her short dark hair was straightened and she was wearing a skirt and blouse with cleavage hardly covered. ‘How can she be allowed to dress like that?’  Leo wondered, averting his eyes in mild disgust.

“You are the guests from London yes? Nina and Natalie Dubois?”

They nodded. “Yeah, but please call us by our first names.”

“What brings you guys here?”

Leo quickly intercepted. “We are just here to get safety equipment for a hiking trip.”

Her eyes grew wide. “Hey! Why didn’t you guys invite me? I love hiking!”

Leo snorted. “Because, first of all this is for business, not pleasure.” He paused, attempting to control his bubbling rage. Leo needed to be careful with what escaped his mouth so he took a deep breath. “…Secondly, we’re not really supposed to be working with each other right now, thirdly because you normally work in a different department and lastly….you don’t like hiking, and have never even been before!”

It was quiet; they all were still standing at the entrance of the Warehouse that seemed more like an isolated retreat. All were seemingly shocked by Leo’s harsh response, but he was being as polite to Linda as he possibly could.

“Why don’t you guys come inside?” she said quietly. “…and Leo, I went hiking with Kyle and my father when I was 13.” Kyle nodded, and Leo felt slightly apologetic for snapping, yet he kept quiet as his pride was quite a hurdle which stopped any chance of apology. Even Nina shot him a look of disappointment. Damien and Natalie were simply exchanging glances.

“Then why don’t you come along?” Nina asked. “It would be great to have some more ‘girl’ company.” She smiled warmly. Leo simply blinked and walked into the main room to see if Linda had moved anything around. He hated whenever she did that. Inspecting every cabinet and drawer he could see, everything seemed pretty much in place. Even his books were as he’d left them. All stacked one on top of the other in the corner by the T.V.

‘Then what was she doing here if she didn’t snoop around?’  Leo pondered; still looking around. The pale green walls almost shrugged in response and the black wood furniture remained a silent witness.

Then the penny dropped.  ‘My room!’  

Leo speed-walked out of the main room, meeting the three chatting girls coming in, and went straight upstairs. He normally kept his room locked but he found out a few months ago that copies of his key had been made by his Boss and then stolen by a rascal…probably Kyle. Leo’s door was locked. No surprise there. The intruder wouldn’t have left it unlocked, so Leo took out a key from his pocket, slid it into the lock and turned anti-clockwise until Leo heard a click. Then Leo walked in, expecting the worst.