Chapter 3.5

“How long do you think you’ll be?”

 “Less than 5 minutes” Leo mumbled catching a lift and then running over to the apartment. He then stood triumphantly as He saw The Boss still on his phone.

Kyle grunted. “Show us something we would actually find amazing…like a disappearing act!” he made a funny gesture with his hands before putting on his jacket. Leo let out a bitter laugh.

“Nah, I don’t do disappearing acts but I see you do them quite often.”

“Boys!” The Boss snapped, waving his walking stick around. “We’re going to get late!”

“Let’s get going.” Damien chuckled while he dodged an angry swing of the horrid stick. “It shouldn’t take long to get there. 

Leo nodded and walked back out of the front door, with The Boss, Damien and Kyle following. As they walked into the lift, The Boss decided to give the young male agents one of his…’talks’.

‘Here we go…’ thought Leo as he sensed a sense of rising anxiety irradiating from the old man.

“As I told you my granddaughters are coming to stay with us…and they are also in your age group…but under no circumstances are any of you to offer any kind of relationship more than a friendship...” He stated sternly, and then waited for the agents to respond. It could be easily seen that Kyle seemed disappointed. “Understand?” he pestered, eyeing all three of them. They nodded silently in response and mumbled their own replies.

“Yeah,”

“Got it.”

“Ok”

“Good.” he smiled, obviously satisfied. The mini lift journey ended and they walked out to make their way to the BMW waiting in the car park around the corner. The apartment blocks were still quiet even though students were supposed to be back from school by now, this made the atmosphere oddly eerie again. Leo’s eyes began from the swing he was previously perched on, towards the tree that Linda was sitting near and he saw that she had gone.

After escorting The Boss to the car, they set off to the garage across the drive to pick up their motor bikes. Even while walking with Damien and Kyle Leo felt as though he was walking alone. None of them made eye contact or tried to make a conversation until he bothered to.

“C’mon guys,” he stopped walking. “We can’t be like this when we go to pick up the guests…what kind of first impression will they get of us? I mean, they’re supposed to trust us to keep them safe.”

Kyle turned on his heel to face Leo “Does it matter?” he snapped “As The Boss said…this is only our job!”

We were in the middle of the small road that ran through the entrance of the block and around the small playground. The garage was only on the other side.

“Leo, don’t start something…he’s right.” Damien sighed. “We can’t get involved with them; we’d only just drag them into trouble.” Leo rolled his eyes, and shook his head sighing.

“This isn’t really about them…”

Kyle returned Leo’s expression.  “So what is this about then?” 

“Us, as colleagues, I mean clearly your personal problems with me are getting in the way of how-“

“Not only that, we are competitors!” Kyle shouted facing Leo properly and looking him in the eye. “Do you not know what that means?”

Leo held his gaze. “I’m not going to start ‘playing’ until after I finish this task; we need to keep-“

“How can I be sure of that? For all I know you could mark me and then probably kill me in my sleep.”  Kyle hissed.