Chapter 5: Two Warnings

********

“Sure you know what I’m talking about!” Leo chuckled. “Come on, tell me how you did it, are you psychic?” His curiosity grew and he was amazed at how casually she had interpreted his thought. Leo was then sure that he hadn’t spoken the content of his mind. She had some sort of gift, not surprising considering the abilities of her father and his sister. 

Leo observed her reaction closely; she seemed confused. 

“I…actually don’t know how to explain…” she replied wearily, taking off the pin that held her scarf in place. He watched silently as she loosened the material that was wrapped around her head. 

Leo stopped abruptly realising he was becoming too personal with the questions: maybe he shouldn’t force her to explain. 

“I’m sorry…I’m being a bit nosey.” A distinct red heat crept up his neck, prickly with embarrassment. 

She laughed. “You’re nothing compared to me!” Nina declared, proudly pointing towards herself.

“We’ll see.” Leo smirked back.

Looking up at the clock he noticed it was past midnight. He had enveloped himself too deeply into the conversation that he hadn’t even realised he was tired. “It’s late…” Leo mumbled getting up. “We should get some sleep, and I’ll see if we can take you hiking tomorrow…”

Her face lit up. “Goodnight.” She said as she tucked her chair in.

“Goodnight.” He replied, walking into his room and closing the door. 

Leo fell onto his bed, not bothering to get changed. The whole day had worn him out so much… it was only at this point after he collapsed, that he could think clearly. So he began to wonder why it had happened. He kept all options open but his thoughts kept leading him to the tournaments. All experienced competitors were given some kind of warning or hint that would also give them an estimate of how gruesome it would be and how many other Cats they would face. Nothing had happened to Kyle, though he had been Changed, he simply heard from rumours. Leo was born into this so-called identity. The games used to take place every 500 years, but recently had become unpredictable.

From his headache and the fact that he’d fallen unconscious, he could tell that this game was going to have more Cats competing and under far more pressure. There would be no pondering from now.

Since he had realised why he had that absurd episode, he let himself relax and slowly closed his eyes. Kyle and Damien were on look out tonight so Leo had no reason to be awake. 

‘My phone is under my pillow if they need me…’  He thought as he drifted into slumber. 

***Nina***

I had a funny feeling about Leo as soon as I had met him. The feeling someone would get when they think that they’ve met a person well worth befriending. Leo’s aura shone around him like an oval shield of colour, even when he wasn’t feeling at his best. I figured I could learn a lot from him, but he had a secret though. About the tattoo, the reason behind him collapsing and maybe more. I could sense it. Plus, he wasn’t all that great at lying.

As I walked into the dark bedroom filled with the gentle snoring of Chloe, Natalie and mum my only source of light was the moon shining in from the open window.

‘Wide enough for someone to creep in through.’ ‘I shuddered. Walking past the window and using the little light I had, I found a small waterbed where a pillow and a blanket had been laid out for me. Taking my scarf off, and too lazy to change my clothes, I lay down, closed my eyes and gently massaged my temples to relax myself. Within moments I felt myself dipping into a beautifully senseless sleep all over again.